Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Decided quickest way to get new server up and running was to bring it home and set up tonight :)

 

Thought - I've got Xeon processor - gigabytes of ram - should be easy/quick to create a virtual server

 

Set up basic machine and then decided to see if VMWare has been updated since I last did this a year ago and and download VMServer 2 - then the fun and games started :eek:

 

W2k3 didn't even want to run it until I'd altered local sec policy and then I find they've completly changed the UI to some sort of web thingy!

 

No doubt there'll be a few more suprises along the way :)

 

Simon

Posted

Yep i got that message this is what you do to get it running

 

Click Start -> Control Panel

Open Administrative Tools

Open Local Security Settings

Click Software Restriction Policies

If no software restrictions are defined, right click the Software Restriction Policies node and select New Software Restriction Policy

Double click Enforcement

Select "All users except local administrators"

Click OK

Reboot the machine

Posted

Alternatives to VMware Server 2 include VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V server, both are free and as 'bare-metal' hypervisors should give you better performance.

 

I'm currently using ESXi at home but it does have limited hardware support so YMMV

Posted

I think what Somabc was referring to is how picky ESX(i) is with the hardware it will run on. As in you must have the right motherboard chipset, graphics card, network card(s), scsi card(s), etc. If your hardware is on VMWare's 'Harware Compatibility List' you may have un-resolvable driver problems which will effect or stop ESX.

 

Yes the only hardware requirement for Hyper-V (and Xen of you want to run Windows VM's) is a processor running either Intel-VT or AMD-V. Hyper-V (and Xen) will run on almost any box.

Posted

I've used the basic VMServer as my virtualisation tool for a couple of years now - I use it in schools to convert my old Win98 machines into VMs and then run them inside a new w2k3 install.

 

The main problem I ran into last night is that due to doing the install via VNC from my NC10 (:) ), I (i think VNC sent a key twice) entered the wrong admin password twice :eek:

 

Tried all combinations - gave up - tried using my NT password resetting cd - wouldn't regcognise that I had a valid NTFS partition (all this is virtual so you can imagine how much fun it was :) )

 

So, re-did the virtual w2k3 server again and then started on the Win98vm so i could just copy by backup file from the broken oringal machine - I couldn't get the VM to recognise the CD drive once it had got past the boot screen- finally switched VM setting from ATAPDI to direct and it worked :)

 

Then my trusty Win98SE disc failed - a small bit of the CD is damanaged and it wouldn't copy one of the cab files :(

 

Never mind - I've come to one of my other schools and I'll just copy an exisiting Win98VM - of course I hope VMServer2 will take VMServer 1 VMs?

 

(ANd I'll root out another Win98 cd that'll be buired somewhere in the ICT Co-ord cupboard :)

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

Then my trusty Win98SE disc failed - a small bit of the CD is damanaged and it wouldn't copy one of the cab files :(

 

(ANd I'll root out another Win98 cd that'll be buired somewhere in the ICT Co-ord cupboard :)

 

Hope you learned your lesson! Always keep .iso copies of your system discs so you can always burn a new as required. Also never use the original copy, always work from backups. :p

Posted
@SimpleSi: I know you like to keep things simple so you may also want to consider XenServer Express from Citrix. You shove the CD in, answer a couple of questions and it's done. ;)
Posted
. You shove the CD in, answer a couple of questions and it's done.

 

I think you've spent too much time with DB and succumbed to his rosy view of IT :lol:

 

Nothing in IT behaves like youi've described :)

 

The last thing I thought that just worked (press switch for computer, press switch for camera) was Avervision Visulisers - until yesterday when one of them locked up and took 30 mins to get it to display a stable image again :lol:

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted
I think you've spent too much time with DB and succumbed to his rosy view of IT :lol:

 

Nothing in IT behaves like youi've described :)

 

I beg to differ. I had a similar experience capturing all our existing server with Xen, it was the easiest morning's work I've ever had.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...