Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Help! I going mad :mad:

W2K3 Deploying an XP Pro image.

1. Successfully saved and uploaded a sysprep WIM image file of a Eee PC B202 to WDS server.

 

2. injected correct NIC drivers into boot.wim for deployment.

 

3. booted client and it hangs with a command window startnet.cmd open. When I run ipconfig I get a correct IP address shown.

 

if I run wpeinit and it hangs again.

What should I enter

TIA

Posted

This sounds like the Windows PE 2.0 environment has loaded and not the WDS Deployment tool

Have you imported the boot.wim file from a Vista or W2k8 DVD? You need this - not the WAIK supplied wim file

 

Did you create a Discover Image in WDS?

 

Fromwhat you've said you have a Capture image as you have manage to create a WIM image of your system.

 

Right Click your Vista/Win2008 boot image, and choose "Create Discover Boot Image"

If you were not using a Vista/Win2008 boot.wim - recreate your Capture Image too..

 

Despite its name - the Discover Image is the image from Deploying your WIM files to the client.

 

You can give both these options a more relevant descriptor (Eg I call the Discover Image - "Deploy Image")

 

Now when you PXE boot a PC you should see at least 2 options - choose the Discover Image option and follow the prompts on screen to deploy it..

 

:)

  • Thanks 1
Posted
This sounds like the Windows PE 2.0 environment has loaded and not the WDS Deployment tool

Have you imported the boot.wim file from a Vista or W2k8 DVD? You need this - not the WAIK supplied wim file

 

Yes, I did use the WAIK boot.wim file. I have now changed to a copy from Toshiba Satelllite Vista Restore disk. Which does not work either. I have seen one suggestion to download Server 2008 and extract the boot.wim. Will this work as I cannot get a OEM Vista disk?

 

Did you create a Discover Image in WDS?

I did not create a Dicover Image in WDS. I used selected > Boot Image>File location>Browse to Boot.wim with the injected drivers>Next>Finish. If I selected Create Discover Image I get an error "The image cannot be used to create a Discover Image as it does not have the required WDSClicent binariers" Which would explain using the Toashiba Recovery Vista disk.

 

Fromwhat you've said you have a Capture image as you have manage to create a WIM image of your system.

I did managed to capture a sysprep image and it appears in WDS server.

 

When deploying image and the process stops at startnet.cmd command window open, isn't there anything I can do to start the reimage process manually? I can the server ok and I only have a few new Eee PCs to install.

 

Why does MS make it sooo difficult to implement!

Posted
You need the Boot.wim from any version of Vista or Windows 2008 to get WDS to deploy images - I believe the Boot.Wim from trial copies will work also..

 

Discover/capture images can only be created from the OS boot.wim files..

 

This link might help... Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Deployment Services in Windows Server 2003

 

Thankyou Gatt, I will start again and report back and hopefully close this thread with good news.

regards

Posted

Got it all going at long last :)

Just for the record, I downloaded the trial copy of Server 2k8 and extracted the boot.wim file.

Then I injected the VISTA NIC drivers into boot.wim. Must be done on a vista pc and run cmd as administrator.

 

Install boot.wim into WDS server. Network boot and that it....

 

A big thank you to Gatt for pushing me in the right direction. Now I just need to construct an answer file for a lite touch install...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...