sdc Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 Hi Does anyone know of a way of "customising" the time slots in Outlook? It would be handy to show school periods alongside the hours, in much the same way as Outlook 2007 (maybe previous versions too?) allows a second time zone to be displayed to the left of the GMT hours. I've seen Outlook Academic and it's great - but a little more than I was looking for. I wonder if there's any way of simply showing school periods within the calendar (I realise I could simply create a load of appointments but that's a bit messy really!). Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks Stephen 2
penfold Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 I take it you only want to show period 1 - 9am-10am etc? Not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but couldn't you just create a shared calender with reoccuring appointments?
sdc Posted January 30, 2009 Author Posted January 30, 2009 Yes, I probably wasn't very clear; sorry! In (for example) work week view, the hours of the day are listed down the left hand side of the calendar, so appointments are shown in the right horizontal slot for the hour they are scheduled each day. However, teachers often say things such as "needed for period 4" and we (as technical staff) don't really have much concept of when each period starts/ends - so it would be handy if, running down alongside the hours of the day, markers indicating period 1, period 2 etc could be included. Currently I have been experimenting with a second timezone, and have put Eastern Standard Time next to GMT, so for 9.00am it says 4.00am just to the left, so I would have thought it may be possible to show a custom "day" in a similar fashion... or is this a customisation bridge too far...?! Thanks again Stephen
penfold Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 Would it not just be easier to have a copy of a standard timetable which shows the time and periods? Even if this was paper based, I think you trying to creating too much work for yourself. I know that after I stated in a new school and the timetable was different to what I was used to I, but I had soon memorised the times of the periods anyway. If you are sturgling to remember what times the periods cover just stick a blank photo copy above your monitor. Or just get whoever does the timetable to email you blank one until you can remember. Or I maybe missing your point entirely:confused: 1
elsiegee40 Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 I can see the benefit of being able to schedule appointments for timetable hours, but think this is a bit advanced for Outlook. I have a laminated copy of the period times blu-tacked to the wall by the phone in my room. It's simple at works! 1
sdc Posted January 30, 2009 Author Posted January 30, 2009 Yes, I think this may well be what we'll do... it just seemed a little low tech for my liking, really...! But the simple solutions are generally the best! Thanks!
powdarrmonkey Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 I've tried to find a solution like Outlook Academic before, but failed miserably. So good hint, thanks
ejsaunders Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 I found someone trying exactly the same thing on another forum, but there was a guy from MS suggested it was impossible in general, without some sort of custom scripting if at all but this was in an earlier version, what version are you currently using?
ejsaunders Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 Adding a time zone to Outlook - Office Watch Try this, you can make custom time-zones as far as I've been able to read with the program listed.
ejsaunders Posted January 30, 2009 Posted January 30, 2009 Other thought, Mozilla Sunbird, unless you're really tied into Outlook?
robins Posted February 7, 2009 Posted February 7, 2009 I'm interested in the prospect of using Outlook for academic calendaring and more detailed timetabling. Out of the box there is clearly little support for the needs of schools but the ability to integrate with email, public folders/calendars for shared concepts like classes of pupils, web access, AD and workflow functionality make it a useful platform. As far as timetabling is concerned, the underlying database seems endlessly flexible but do (presumably 3rd party) tools, AddIns exist to make it a practical alternative (I try to use NovaT6 at present which partly integrates with the MIS but inflicts lots of restrictions). For example NovaT6 is OK for regular appointments like lessons and SIMS can track who has done cover. Outlook linked calendars can include ad-hoc appointments easily and show who is available for (a meeting - ie cover). but would need a custom interface to make it practical in schools. Academic Calendar for Outlook and the planned booking agent from GreenHills seems to go some way down this road. Could anyone who has tried it comment? Or suggest any alternatives - much appreciated!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now