sidewinder Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 I dont want one or anything, lord no. Just got a question. Staff laptop brought in, they cant get on the internet at home. BT software is installed, and either that or Norton seems to be taking control of both the wired and wireless NIC's If I removed all this crap (why do they provide all this stuff??) and give it back to him in a state where he could just connect to the wireless like anywhere else - would that work? Does the home hub provide a standard wireless connection? Hes also got a BT broadband connection set up in Network Connections - I assume this is probably from having just an adsl modem connected to it before they got the home hub? If you could see what the teacher in question is like with computers you'd understand why I'm not asking him any of this...
plexer Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Yes bt homehub provides standard wireless connection no need to install their rubbish software. I've got to go and fix the brother in laws laptop at the weekend after the software killed it Ben
plexer Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Also the default admin password for the web interface has been changed to the serial number of the home hub and then you are forced to change it on first login. Make sure they use wpa/wpa2 with a good security key becuase anyone cracking wep or doing a dictionary attack against the wpa 4 way handshake can get the serial number from unsecured web pages and then change it themselves. Ben
sidewinder Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 cheers plexer, ill remove it then. Dont think theres much point suggesting changing encryption since he wouldnt know what I mean
sidewinder Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 This a nightmare. Removed anything in add/remove, rebooted and STILL the network connections are not accessible. Norton has no entry to remove arghhhhh
RabbieBurns Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Norton is a right PITA. I had a similar problem with a staff's laptop - couldnt even connect it to our wifi here. Ended up ditching norton completely and putting AVG on for them instead
Michael Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 The Norton Removal Tool should help you and AVG 8 is what I recommend for my customers.
sidewinder Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 Cheers, the removal tool worked a treat...at uninstalling Norton. I would normally recommend AVG myself but we put Sophos on all staff laptops, even ones that never touch the network - just makes things more consistant. Still though, neither the wireless nor the wired connection appear in Network Connections. They are installed, drivers are there, plug a cable in and get an IP address but they just dont appear. Which makes it impossible to connect to a wireless network because the taskbar icon doesnt appear either!
Michael Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Have you made sure they're not disabled in Device Manager? I don't understand how you could get an IP if they do not show up in Network Connections?
RabbieBurns Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Try deleting the devices from device manager and letting them re-install ? 1
OutToLunch Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Give the Norton Removal Tool ago if you're sure it's that and want rid of it... Download and run the Norton Removal Tool I wouldn't leave them with no AV at all though (though some may argue Norton is worse than none!) Last homehub problem I had, the BT software was doing a Vista-esque attempt to discern between trusted and untrusted networks and simply deciding that any wireless it was connected to was untrusted so shouldn't be used. May be worth checking?
sidewinder Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 (edited) Try deleting the devices from device manager and letting them re-install ? Worked a treat, thanks Michael - yeah they were definately working fine, literally just wernt showing up in network connections ps I admit I have got a case of Friday laziness today - I probably could have sorted most of this without making a thread but thanks for everyones help Edited December 12, 2008 by sidewinder
Michael Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Michael - yeah they were definately working fine, literally just wernt showing up in network connections Oh well, glad it's sorted. The computer must be relieved you've uninstalled Norton from it!
sidewinder Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 well its certainly running better Considering its a 1.5Ghz Pentium-M with 256MB RAM you can imagine how slow it was uninstalling norton and clearing all the crap from startup has helped it a lot
sidewinder Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 yeah, and it was at the time too although the BT software seemed to be wanting to replace zero config so that may well have been the original cause of the problem
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now