SimpleSi Posted November 20, 2008 Posted November 20, 2008 I've a problem with a web app that needs IE7/Firefox to make it work and I can't quickly install IE7 on a lot of my computers. (old -short of memory - not running XP2 etc) So I tried using a copy of Firefox Portable on a shared network folder which seemed to work great as it just needs one install and then copy shortcut to each desktop but it seems if 2 people on 2 computers try to use it at the same time - the 2nd one gets told that firefox is already running and it doesn't work. Has anyone tried something like this and managed a workaround? Or got a DFA I could try? regards Simon
CyberNerd Posted November 20, 2008 Posted November 20, 2008 You could try installing the MSI and putting GPO on it. Firefox MSI
plexer Posted November 20, 2008 Posted November 20, 2008 Use firefox portable with the settings locked it's because you've got people using the normal version and each one is trying to save preferences etc... Ben
SimpleSi Posted November 20, 2008 Author Posted November 20, 2008 You could try installing the MSI and putting GPO on it. It'd be quicker for me to get the train to the Reebok, buy some memory from Scan and install it and apply SP2 than to try to learn how to deploy an MSI using GPO (especially as the computer's arn't on a domain ) But thanks anyway Use firefox portable with the settings locked it's because you've got people using the normal version and each one is trying to save preferences etc... Don't quite understand what you are saying My current workaround is to install FFP in c:\apps\ffp, configure it and then xcopy the folder to a server and then xcopy it back out again to each workstation - takes slightly longer but gets around the issue. JFI although I don't use GPOs for deployment I use Main Page - WPKG | Open Source Software Deployment and Distribution which has served me well using win98, linux and W2k3 machines as file servers. regards Simon
powdarrmonkey Posted November 20, 2008 Posted November 20, 2008 According to its blurb WPKG will do MSIs quite happily...
plexer Posted November 20, 2008 Posted November 20, 2008 firefox doesn't work properly for more than one user from a network share because files are in use that it needs access to, firefox portable is designed to be run basically read only you configure it and then the settings are locked. Ben
SimpleSi Posted November 20, 2008 Author Posted November 20, 2008 According to its blurb WPKG will do MSIs quite happily... Well I use it simply just do a simple msiexec ..... /qn - thats no problem - its all the other stuff of transforms (whatever they are) to set it up so that it just runs the way I want it with flash installed that would take up time @plexer I don't whether your telling me FF Portable SHOULD work for 2 or more simultaneous users from a network share or not - all I can say is that it doesn't for me (And I can't find anything on't net that says it does) regards Simon
jamesb Posted November 20, 2008 Posted November 20, 2008 They're saying that it won't work on multiple computers from a network share since certain files will be locked as read-only by the first user. What exactly is the setup you're on, you've mentioned its not on a domain, is there a particular reason why? What's the web app that requires IE7/FF? What other restrictions are in place?
SimpleSi Posted November 21, 2008 Author Posted November 21, 2008 They're saying that it won't work on multiple computers from a network share since certain files will be locked as read-only by the first user. Ta What exactly is the setup you're on, you've mentioned its not on a domain, is there a particular reason why? I'm not clever enough to set one one up (Actually, I work in primaries and never found the need for domain/user control) What's the web app that requires IE7/FF? Its Espresso - an update last week stopped it working with IE6 and my county "helpdesk" solution was to "upgrade" to IE7 (which due to memory restrictions of older computers in KS1 classes would take a bit of time to do ) What other restrictions are in place? None at all (apart from the memory/lack of XP SP2 etc ) I'm happy with the solution of setting up FFP on a c: drive and then copying it to all computers - it seems to work fine so panic over regards Simon
plexer Posted November 21, 2008 Posted November 21, 2008 Firefox portable works fine from a network share for whole classes of pupils here as I am using it that way for various things. Ben
SimpleSi Posted November 21, 2008 Author Posted November 21, 2008 (edited) @plexer Sorry I got very confused (nothing new) So your saying your running FFP from a network share and 2 computers can access it at once with any conflict. I've tried that 3 times and I get a msg up on 2nd computer that says "Firefox is already running, but is not responding....". (I didn't realise this until I was doing the 3rd school ) I just ran the standard firefox portable apps installer and set the install directory to \\server\icttech\FirefoxPortable. I then run it from one computer and go through the initial questions and create a shortcut to it and copy that shortcut to the other computers. Run it one computer - fine - try to run it on another at same time and get the error msg about Firefox is already running. Can you remember doing anything special to get it working (maybe the latest has a bug in it?) regards Simon Edited November 21, 2008 by SimpleSi
plexer Posted November 21, 2008 Posted November 21, 2008 Try this: Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition Support | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives Ben
OutToLunch Posted November 21, 2008 Posted November 21, 2008 I have a domain set up but don't generally use MSI installs - only have 2 main IT rooms so it's quicker to run round the rooms at lunchtime than it is to sort out a new package. For Firefox, I use a directory containing the offline flash/shockwave installers, Firefox setup and a customised config file with proxy settings locked. Maybe this could work for you as a quick way of doing a local install? The .bat is just "Firefox Setup 2.0.0.7.exe" -ms shockwave_installer_slim.exe /silent install_flash_player.exe /silent copy /y all.js "C:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js" copy /y mozilla.cfg "C:\program files\mozilla firefox\mozilla.cfg" copy /y override.ini "C:\program files\mozilla firefox\override.ini" pause (We're actually on a newer Firefox now but can't find the newer .bat ATM!) Override allows you to disable the first time use wizard, Mozilla.cfg contains the proxy settings to be locked and all.js contains the token that sets Firefox to use the mozilla.cfg and lock the settings.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now