Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have 2 printers setup on a 2008 server which map to a 2003 server where they are hosted. However I now want to get rid of these but whenever I delete it is just telling me access denied. I am logged on as admin and nothing else appears to be using them. I have also tried re-loading fresh drivers.

 

Can they be manually deleted?

Posted

Logon to the server as administrator.

 

1. Check that there are no print jobs waiting in the queues you want to delete. If there are jobs waiting purge them first.

 

2. Go to services and stop and then start the print spooler service.

 

3. Go to Control Panel/Printers and then try to delete the offending printers.

 

That might do it [if you haven't tried it already]

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Just a shot in the dark here: As you have no use for the queues and you have tried re-loading fresh drivers what about a different approach:

 

Change the driver to one that is pre-loaded in the Windows library [HP Laserjet 4/4M for example]

 

Once the driver change has been completed and once again there are no print jobs waiting try deleting the queues. My thought here is that maybe the driver is corrupt and is not being replaced properly by your re-install. I solved a printer problem this way [it was a different problem than the one you are experiencing but just as irritating]

 

Also: Are any workstations/other servers using the queues? Could this prevent you deleting the printers? I doubt this is the answer though as one of my technicians deleted a print queue quite easily and it was in use by a classroom full of computers that day!

 

Best of luck.

Edited by 6Foot2
Add detail to clarify post.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...