Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We had a machine that was running Outlook 2003 that died on us recently. You could not get to the Windows desktop to run anything (complaining about missing exporer.exe even though it was still there) and sadly the user didn't export their outlook data to a .pst file before the machine died. We tried using Windows to repair the install but that was no use as its obviously a hardware fault as booting Linux off a CD fails too. I've tried booting the HD on a couple of machines to no avail.

 

Fortunately, the hard drive is still readable so we're hoping there is a way to recover the Outlook 2003 calendar and contacts even though we can't run Outlook to export it all into a .pst. The replacement machine is running Outlook 2007- will this be a problem?

 

Where does Outlook 2003 store calendar and contacts? Can I just copy these files over into the same folder on the 2007 install and expect it to work?

 

Thanks for your help and ideas!

Posted (edited)

It will be held in a PST currently regardless of whether it was exported or not.

 

Locate it in C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

 

For sanities sake, start Outlook on the new PC, set it up etc and import the old PST over the top and it should be fine.

 

You could in theory "just use" the old PST on the new install but to be honest, I'd prefer a proper import procedure.

Edited by kmount
missed slash in path.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

I have actually had to do this... at home when my previous PC died.

 

I managed to recover the pst from "C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft Outlook" as kmount said.

 

On the new machine, I started outlook, didn't bother setting up anything and then imported from the recovered PC. Everything was fine.

 

Another method is to go to the control panel (class view) and click on Mail

 

Then choose Data Files.

 

Choose add and navigate to the recovered .pst location.

 

Remove any references to any other files.. and Outlook should open as if you'd never had a problem

Posted

Thanks for that kmount and elseegee, its sorted now.

 

Reason I didn't find it is I didn't enable 'search hidden files and folders' under Windows (XP) explorer Find tool. Duh! Next time...

 

:drunken_smilie:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...