RabbieBurns Posted October 20, 2008 Posted October 20, 2008 Im not sure how I would go about this, whether it would be a form or a query or whatnot. I have a database with reports Ive created, which when I print print out the whole data set, unless i specify which pages I want. Its very tiresome doing a print preview and then finding out which 5 pages out the 2000 are the relevant ones. So I'm trying to think of a way to only print certain records. Ideally Id like it to prompt for, say the students name, and then print only those records. How would I go about doing this please?
Domino Posted October 20, 2008 Posted October 20, 2008 I would have thought you could knock up a quick form with drop downs that point to the various fields. This is probably overkill, but should point you in the right direction How do I… Select records for a dynamic label report in Access? | How Do I… | TechRepublic.com However for the simplicity the built in wizards might be better
RabbieBurns Posted October 20, 2008 Author Posted October 20, 2008 What I want to do though is print off the exact report that Ive got, not just a form with a summary of the data. Would i need to create a form that looks the exact same way as the report and then just have a drop down for the fields i want?
krisd32 Posted October 20, 2008 Posted October 20, 2008 Why don't you create a query finding the data you require and then create a report from the query you've just created? Thats how i'd do it or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?
RabbieBurns Posted October 20, 2008 Author Posted October 20, 2008 yeh u are hehe. I have the query, selects all the data, and fills in a nice report. But the report is 2000 pages long. Sometimes I want to just to print 5 pages of the report (each 5 pages correspond to a new student for example, and I want to just print 1 student) At the moment, I need to print preview the report, then scroll all the way through to page, for example, 1835, until i find Johnny Zebra's pages, and then print only page 1835 to 1840.
Domino Posted October 20, 2008 Posted October 20, 2008 Yeah, I'd create a form that filters (either the final report, or the query itself - it'd run quicker if it was the query) and outputs just the pages you want.
cehwitham Posted October 20, 2008 Posted October 20, 2008 Duplicate the query that finds all the data for all the records and then just set it to ask you for a students name. When you run the report it'll ask you to type that students name in and then only produce the 5 pages associated with that student. If you copy the query and report there's no reason it'd look any different from the original. (except for being a lot shorter). Putting [Please select student] in the student criteria box should give you the prompt. 1
krisd32 Posted October 20, 2008 Posted October 20, 2008 (edited) Thats kind of what i meant but obviously didn't explain myself that well! its just been one of those days! Edited October 20, 2008 by krisd32
RabbieBurns Posted October 21, 2008 Author Posted October 21, 2008 Putting [Please select student] in the student criteria box should give you the prompt. That's the bit I didn't know how to do. Thanks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now