SimonWindisch Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 Hi there, Since 29th September we've had a problem with Sophos. The message is... Description: The "\\SCH-2K-ALDRYP2\SophosEM" library update task has failed. INDEX 0x8000ffff Update failed. Parent could not be accessed. Check the parent address/path and access settings. INDEX 0x8000ffff Could not read the EM Library database. MCID 0x80040407 Failed to make a connection. VFS 0x80040407 Deploy Failed to make a connection. VFS 0x80040407 Deploy Failed to make a connection. VFS 0x80040407 Deploy We're on the SEGfL, and I wonder if it's their firewall blocking Sophos. Has anyone else come across something similar? Thanks - Simon
Michael Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 Or it could possibly be a proxy problem. Have you tried contacting your authority? It might be a problem their end if your parent server is the authorities server.
mrtechsystems Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 Also you might want to check this link aswell with reference to the problem EM Library: library reported as inaccessible
Face-Man Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 I think sophos have recently done a software update to 7.6 . I had a problem a while back with that happening and having to upgrade em library to the latest version. Also occasionally a workstation get interrupted updating and so has to be uninstalled then reinstalled. As for the firewall can you ping their update url ?
SimonWindisch Posted October 10, 2008 Author Posted October 10, 2008 Thanks guys, the local authority denies all knowledge of making a change, and that hit is for a local database problem, not for a "failed to connect to server problem" I've been fighting this problem for two days now, I'm going to try installing Sophos on a different server. Simon
SimonWindisch Posted October 10, 2008 Author Posted October 10, 2008 Oops, sorry, missed that last update. No I can't ping. Apparently ping is blocked!
contink Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 I think sophos have recently done a software update to 7.6. I can vouch for the fact that this caused enormous problems at one school where they have a lot of wireless laptops. Caused almost all of them to lock up and/or freeze. You may find that your server has updated but needs to do a restart before it'll start working again properly.
mrtechsystems Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 Also I would read up on upgrading the Management Console Version 2. I believe is the latest and I also would reinstall the l library console aswell If you need any help please post :-)
Michael Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 I think sophos have recently done a software update to 7.6 . I had a problem a while back with that happening and having to upgrade em library to the latest version. Also occasionally a workstation get interrupted updating and so has to be uninstalled then reinstalled. As for the firewall can you ping their update url ? You're right - Sophos v7.6.0 causes DEP errors to appear and crashes Explorer.exe which is a right pain, but thankfully, implementing a GPO quickly solves this problem until Sophos v7.6.1 is released (whenever that will be). I have implemented this fix at all sites on the default domain policy as it affects all machines, (including servers) and it works a treat. It's also easy to remove once the official fix is released. In this case though, SimonWindisch's problem doesn't appear to be Sophos v7.6.x related, but downloading AV content altogether which is a bit of a problem. If the authority claim no changes have been made, I would probably go down the root of stopping/starting all Sophos services and then re-installing the console from scratch either on the same or secondary server. Sophos will still remain installed on workstations and would just need updated Sophos policies to be deployed which is easy to do. If this still doesn't work, I would double check the address, username and password required, but also firewall settings (if you have a hardware firewall in place).
matt40k Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 What address are you using? I assuming it's your LEA's address not Sophos
gshaw Posted October 10, 2008 Posted October 10, 2008 You're right - Sophos v7.6.0 causes DEP errors to appear and crashes Explorer.exe which is a right pain, but thankfully, implementing a GPO quickly solves this problem until Sophos v7.6.1 is released (whenever that will be). Blimey I'm glad I turned off the auto program update in EM Library for our teaching machines then! Tbh the program updates are a right pain as they're so large... I'd recommend just leaving it as IDEs only in the package select the change it to SAV + IDEs during half-term breaks etc as Sophos must have the world record for most updates for a single app
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now