Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I set up OpenFiler 2.3 for a test run yesterday and backed up one of our fileservers overnight via iscsi as a test run. I'd messed around with it before at home as a quick way of making mounts for vms, but this was the first time I'd used it in anger and I'm rather impressed. So questions:

 

1) Is the paid-for manual worth it? If it's full of useful info I can't get anywhere else/glean from the forums I'll happily pay, but I wondered if anyone else had bought it and could comment?

2) For those using it with iSCSI targets, do you vlan it off and/or use a dedicated switch?

3) (if you're using it as a backup device) How are you backing up to it?

4) Tape drives - can it handle them or can it be modified to handle them?

4a) If the answer is "yes", have you tried encrypting tapes?

Posted

I currently just backup to an smb share on it using backupassist on top of ntbackup.

 

I have tried using an iscsi target before and then copying that to the share my reason for doing it this was that if I need to restore something from the backup I can do it from the share from anywhere and don't have to connect to the isci target.

 

I didn't buy the manual but then I bought the server so get support from the supplier.

 

I have the server in a remote location plugged directly into our core switch via a spare fibre pair with a media converter at the openfiler end.

 

Ben

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Are you running 2.2 Geoff? 2.3 has Bacula, but no Amanda in the repos. There's a distinct lack of info as to whether bacula is being used by openfiler or if it's there as a whim of the developers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...