Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

There is a Windows XP PC : \\WinXPPC (Example)

 

It has a folder which is shared : SharedFolder (Example)

 

There is a local user on the machine : Sharer (Example) with a password.

 

On my machine I can connect to \\WinXPPC\SharedFolder and get asked for a username and password to connect to it. Which is what I want.

 

However, on the staff machine I keep getting 'Access is denied' and I can't kill certain shares they have had open in the past as an active process is using them, even though I can't see anything on the machine that would be using them!

 

Any help? The other machines in the same room seem to work fine! :doh:

Posted

Windows XP is limited to 10 concurrent sessions. Any more than this and you will get access denied messages.

 

The machines also need to belong to the same workgroup or domain.

 

Within Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions

 

Here you can disconnect active sessions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...