Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

8 out of 10 times roughly when I install any apps on my new mac pro ( I have apple care btw ) I get a standard or weird icon.

 

I have never had this problem with os x before and I cant understand for the life of me why it does it.

 

1. Download official app from trusted website ie msn messenger from microsoft or any other app ie disco etc.

 

2. mount or install app whether it be a pkg or a dmg via drag and drop or double click or w/e.

 

3. It installs the app which works fine yet the icon view of the app is the weird app icon as per attachment , I know I can fix it by doing a Get Info on it and dragging the image at the bottom to the icon at the top but why is it doing it ?

 

This is a fresh install of mac os x from the installation discs yet it still does it, yes I did a format before I re installed.

Picture 1.png

Posted

I had a similar problem when I went form Tiger to Leopard, but thankfully it went away after several os updates... I could not find a definitive fix however try force quit and restart the finder Alt-Command-Escape. Its a pain but seemed to do the trick.

 

A couple of other tricks you could try are

 

repair your disk and repair permissions regularly

use a utility such as Onyx

 

oh yes and use Adium instead of MSN

 

Hope this helps

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...