mrtechsystems Posted September 11, 2008 Posted September 11, 2008 in the same boat here we have purchased it with some IPAQ 114 and Wireless kit thanks for the information sounds like Captia have got some work to do
FragglePete Posted September 13, 2008 Author Posted September 13, 2008 (edited) Thanks to an Eagle eyed representative of Captia lurking on here, I've had some clarification on the pricing, and now it seems a little bit more reasonable. For up to 10 devices, it's essentially a £200 one of cost per device for the licence and then £200 per year for all of these 10 devices for maintenance. Seems a little bit more reasonable. If we can find the money to purchase a few more extra devices and the licences then I know the PE staff will be a lot happier with one device each. Still, more work is required on the interface to make it more intuitive. Got to remember as well that I've had to setup a completely seperate server just for SIMS Mobile. I know the latest version recommends installing on your SIMS server, but I felt uncomfortable with that so I manage to 're-furb' an old Dell PowerEdge 2600 with Server 2003 and running SQL Express and all seems to run ok. It wasn't a major task getting it up and running, just understanding what is going on and what is needed. This Server takes a local copy of certain tables from the mains SIMS database the PDA device uses which schedules itself to replicate every two hours (can be changed). Next financial year I'm hoping to look to Virtualize this and the KS3 QCA Testing Server onto one box as it's not exactly stretched. Haven't actually seen the Bromcom solution, but have recieved info and prices some time ago and I'm intrigued. Bromcom are trying to contact me, but I'm too busy at the moment to deal with these and other sales reps contacting me. Christ, don't these Companies know this is the busiest time for us School Network Managers at the moment!!!! Pete Edited September 13, 2008 by FragglePete
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now