Arthur Posted September 28, 2023 Posted September 28, 2023 Link: raspberrypi.com/5 The everything computer. Optimised. With 2–3× the speed of the previous generation, and featuring silicon designed in‑house for the best possible performance, we’ve redefined the Raspberry Pi experience. Coming October 2023
noelmm Posted September 28, 2023 Posted September 28, 2023 Can be pre-ordered from the Pi Hut for £59.30 4Gb version and £79.00 for the 8GB version. 2
XiJ Posted September 28, 2023 Posted September 28, 2023 Use my (sons) rpi4 for adguard dns. But tbh I can run a ton of docker contains on my 16w idle server with better performance. I’ll watch with interest for the rpi5 but for now, I’m out.
dhicks Posted September 28, 2023 Posted September 28, 2023 I’ll watch with interest for the rpi5 but for now, I’m out. Some of the more interesting / useful bits seem like they might be ready early next year rather than right away - the new (more compact?) PoE adaptor and interface for M.2 harddrives, for instance, which (if I'm reading correctly) should both be compact enough to fit in the standard Pi 5 case. Power consumption looks like it will also be less - the Pi 4 is just a bit too power-hungry to be powered from a USB port on a smart TV, whereas the Pi 3 was okay, making for a handy all-in-one add-on. 2
Arthur Posted September 28, 2023 Author Posted September 28, 2023 Sounds like it's going to run hot! 1
ICT_GUY Posted January 8, 2024 Posted January 8, 2024 I have three at the moment. A 4GB one that runs Jellyfin like a champ. I find it much better than Plex, cleaner, faster and ideal on the PI5. So far it has been running nonstop for two months. It uses a 2TB SSD that you can drop files onto over the network. The 8GB I use as a desktop and for general LAB type stuff. Super fast runs pretty quickly off of an USB SSD. The third I am waiting for, it will be set up with the new NVME adapter, it should be arriving today. 1
dhicks Posted January 8, 2024 Posted January 8, 2024 The third I am waiting for, it will be set up with the new NVME adapter, it should be arriving today. Ah - I've just got my new 8GB Pi 5 set up as a desktop machine as well, just with an SD card at the moment, I didn't know the NVME adapter was available. It seems to work well as a desktop - I have it running both Firefox and Chromeium at the same timem, it seems to cope okay. 1
ICT_GUY Posted January 8, 2024 Posted January 8, 2024 https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/nvme-base?variant=41219587178579 pimoroni.com have them and they are only £13.50 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now