Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a demo scheduled next week with the ESS to see SIMS Connected and the existing NG functionality (just registers and basic student record I think).

 

I haven't heard much good here about the SIMS connected hosted option or any of the RD hosting options, but I do like the idea of having the option to use the web based registers, particularly for our junior schools.

 

Is anyone using the NG register functionality while keeping the DB and client hosted locally ?

Can it write back to our locally database the way the teacher app does ?

Or is the NG functionality only available to clients who have the DB hosted on an ESS server ?

 

I think ESS want to sell us both products as a bundle but I wonder if anyone has bought one without the other.

 

TIA

Cathy

Posted

Hi Cathy

 

We've applied to pilot the Next Gen functionality but as a secondary school only have access to the Student Record info. We haven't considered using SIMS Connected and are happy to continue to host the DB.

 

From my understanding as long as you have a three year contract with ESS the Next Gen functionality is included in the price.

 

Next Gen will write back to a local database - you will need to install and setup a couple of extra packages in Sims Services Manager to connect services to get it working - ESS will send a guide to work through to get it setup. You may also need to check / adjust your DPIA for SIMS.

 

Hope that helps

 

Luke

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...