Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Dear All

 

I am having some serious issues copying a folder onto a linux web server running Gentoo Linux.

 

We dont have access to root user due to security issues. So an account was created for us where we had to use a private key file to authenticate (ppk)

 

As far as I know the username we had created has full write access to directories but it comes with an error in winscp saying

 

error code 3: Permission denied. request code: 14

 

At the moment I cant get through to our linux guy but desperatly need to copy some files across. I know the private key is correct.

 

As I dont know linux very well. We do use something called webmin which is accessed through a browser. That seems to have some features but because I don't know what to press I dont want to start pressing things that I dont understand.

 

Can anyone help how I could get some file across either using Winscp, putty or webmin?

 

thank you

Posted

Did you try the command line version (pscp)?

 

IIRC the command will be

 

pscp -R directoryname user@server:pathtoputfilesin

Posted
pscp -R directoryname user@server:pathtoputfilesin

 

If the server has been set up to accept logins via keys only, you'll need to tell the command line utility which identity file to use:

 

pscp -i myIDFile.ppk -R directoryname user@server:pathtoputfilesin

 

--

David Hicks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...