Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

As some of you know (as you have helped me) I am looking at Ubuntu Server. I have successfully set up a LAMP server, but wanted to put FTP on also - vsftpd.

 

The www dir is /var/www. I have created a group ftp-users and made the member 0001 a member. This group has chmod 750 over the www folder - root is owner.

 

When I try to ftp in, using 0001 and the password for that user I get a 500 error - cannot change home directory. A Google search showed many things, alot of which was for RedHat, but I just don't understand them.

 

Can anybody help translate this error into English and maybe suggest what the issue is? (I'm looking for you webman!)

 

Thanks,

Posted

Installed it. Getting this error:

an't establish connection --> 10.33.225.237:21 @ Fri Jun 20 15:28:10 2008 (10054-38)

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

 

I uninstalled the vsftpd before i installed proftpd.

Posted

It means, ( I think ) that inetd/xinetd will start a new proftpd thread for each user

 

Have you got either inetd/xinetd installed?

 

I cant remember if it gets intstalled as part of the server installation

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...