MrDylan Posted March 9, 2006 Posted March 9, 2006 Hi, We used to be completely Cisco, which had the lovely Cisco Management Suite, y'know you just can't beat a GUI when you're simple like me. Anyway, we not have some HP Procurves, they cost a third of what the Cisco switches do and come with a lifetime warranty. The problem is we don't have the GUI that the Cisco ones had, so we had out contractors draw up some simple telnet instructions so we can still change vLANs. It's important we can change them as teachers can block internet access from rooms using ISA server as the main ICT rooms are all on their own vLAN. These instructions have worker fine for other switches, but we've had a new one installed and I'm getting an error, this is what happens: I telnet into the switch. If I don't have the # prompt I type enable I then type show int status This should list all ports and their current vLANs, but instead on this switch I receive this: Invalid Input: Status Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Like I said, it works fine on the other Procurves just not this one.
MrDylan Posted March 9, 2006 Author Posted March 9, 2006 I've had a look in that but can't find how to change the vLANs at all. I can do with it is view the MAC addresses of devices attached to the default vLAN of the switch.
DMcCoy Posted March 9, 2006 Posted March 9, 2006 on a 2848 for example menu. option 2, switch configuration. Option 8, vlan menu. create a vlan with vlan names and assign ports with vlan port assignment. There is also a web interface for simple vlan config.
MrDylan Posted March 9, 2006 Author Posted March 9, 2006 aha! Thankyou DMcCoy. I've managed to my vLAN and assign it to a port, thankyou very much, problem solved. See, Menu's are good, it's just a matter of knowing where to find things.
DMcCoy Posted March 9, 2006 Posted March 9, 2006 Yes, but it sucks for vlan managment as it doesn't let you do as complicated setups as the cli
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now