TMBS Posted April 19, 2021 Posted April 19, 2021 Hi everyone Slight panic! We have assessments this week and need to set up Chromebooks without spell check enabled and websites blocked. I spoke to Google support last week and they advised me how, I tested it work - brilliant! Came to set all the Chromebooks up on Friday and the URL blocking works but not the disabled spell check. I've spoken to three other Google support people and finally the third one said 'Oh no the disable spell check in the Admin console doesn't work on Google Docs, just Chrome', not sure why you'd want that but... I've tried adding the Safe Doc extension but even with than enabled it underlines words and offers suggestions. I know you can disable it in Google Docs via the Tools menu but our English HOD doesn't want anything the students can enable! The first assessement is tomorrow morning - HELP!! Thanks
caffrey Posted April 19, 2021 Posted April 19, 2021 Similar boat but last we got last minuted so they are getting spell check There is this but I think you need a developer account https://github.com/fspeirs/GoogleDocsLockdown I created new accounts for the exam takers and dropped them into a new Google OU, I can then restrict logons just to those accounts 1
HC_Netman Posted April 19, 2021 Posted April 19, 2021 Not sure how to do what you need directly in Google but we have been using Chromex for our exams now. https://chromex.io/en/ It is free for 10 users and relatively cheap even if you go over that. It is fairly straightforward to set up as well. Might be a bit late for you but its an option to look at if you can't get any success directly in Google.
Ditto Posted April 19, 2021 Posted April 19, 2021 Hi everyone Slight panic! We have assessments this week and need to set up Chromebooks without spell check enabled and websites blocked. I spoke to Google support last week and they advised me how, I tested it work - brilliant! Came to set all the Chromebooks up on Friday and the URL blocking works but not the disabled spell check. I've spoken to three other Google support people and finally the third one said 'Oh no the disable spell check in the Admin console doesn't work on Google Docs, just Chrome', not sure why you'd want that but... I've tried adding the Safe Doc extension but even with than enabled it underlines words and offers suggestions. I know you can disable it in Google Docs via the Tools menu but our English HOD doesn't want anything the students can enable! The first assessement is tomorrow morning - HELP!! Thanks When I did something similar a few years ago, we setup in Kiosk mode an had the Chromebooks open a Google Form that had simple text field to enter in. No nice formatting of course, but allowed the pupils to type answers in. Chromex would be a better solution, but in the limited time given, you've limited time to react. to be honest, you could bounce it back and say 'Sorry, spell check is enabled, you'll need to have the invigilators monitor for breaking rules'. In the same way as you would monitoring to spot anyone using a dictionary.
TMBS Posted April 19, 2021 Author Posted April 19, 2021 Not sure how to do what you need directly in Google but we have been using Chromex for our exams now. https://chromex.io/en/ It is free for 10 users and relatively cheap even if you go over that. It is fairly straightforward to set up as well. Might be a bit late for you but its an option to look at if you can't get any success directly in Google. Thanks! Does this allow you to disable spell check? Students only need to access Docs and write their assessment.
HC_Netman Posted April 19, 2021 Posted April 19, 2021 Thanks! Does this allow you to disable spell check? Students only need to access Docs and write their assessment. Yes it does - this is the screen you get when you set up a new exam. As you can see at the bottom you have options to enable/disable spell check etc. 1
paulkerton Posted April 19, 2021 Posted April 19, 2021 Thanks! Does this allow you to disable spell check? Students only need to access Docs and write their assessment. Yes. Essentially it has its own editor which will create a doc/PDF once completed for you. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now