Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with pricing a new server up.

 

At the moment I have a budget of around the £2k mark.

 

I want (possibly) to buy two servers for this, a second cheap HP like the one I already have (£300) rackmounted bargain that it is (quad core 2 gigs of ram).

 

So the main server needs to come in around £1500 - 1800.

 

I have come up with this so far.

 

dabs4work - HP Rack ProLiant ML350 G5 Xeon 5420 2500-2x6MB/1333 (458240-421)

 

Why?

 

It supports 3.5inch sas and sata drives has an insanely fast cpu but lacks memory.

 

To populate it I need to get some cheap but fast HD's, say 4 x raptor 300gig drives @£166 each.

 

total cost £1800 for near a TB of storage (raid 5).

 

Memory will add another £70 to the cost.

 

I would welcome your thoughts. My main concern is with the drives, but they are reliable, and they are cheap and I can buy spares. SAS seems to cost lots for small drives, SFF SAS seems mad, at even more $$$$$ and less storage.

Posted

I'd recommend giving Dan a call at SCL and see what they can offer you... I had some quotes for similar stuff but had to go with cheap HP Proliants because of a budget issue.

 

They may be able to offer you somethng close to what you're after or at least give you an indication if you're on a wing and a prayer.

  • Thanks 2
Posted
SAS gives much better throughput if you're doing things like SQL databases, Exchange etc. It's less important if it's just sequential throughput (eg something which you just use for backups)
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Looking into the SCL sever, my main concern is that it uses standard 500gig seagate drives.

 

Advantages is that at £51 each I can put a load in and swap when they do go bad.

 

Disadvantages i'm going to need a stack of spare drives and they are no where near the quality of the raptors and certainly not even close SAS.

 

Its going to be down to money, and what is going to give me less grief.

Posted

I'm sure the SCL ones are good but if your hankering after the big names, try hunting around for the drives.

 

I find they vary soooo much in cost and if you play the big names suppliers off against each other you can make great savings :) Saved £60 a disk last time by playing 3 off against each other!

Posted
Looking into the SCL sever, my main concern is that it uses standard 500gig seagate drives.

 

Advantages is that at £51 each I can put a load in and swap when they do go bad.

 

Disadvantages i'm going to need a stack of spare drives and they are no where near the quality of the raptors and certainly not even close SAS.

 

Its going to be down to money, and what is going to give me less grief.

 

Hi ICT_GUY. We can build the server to your spec so if you want to change the drives to something of your choice then let me know and I'll get a quote sorted for you. Same goes for CPUs, RAM etc - we build them from scratch anyway so will tailor it to your needs

 

Regards

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...