Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am currently creating some Attendance dashboards and am interested in doing some better analytics comparing students attendance history etc. I currently have columns comparing current attendance % against attendance % 7 Days ago and % 30 Days ago which works great most of the time, but as PowerBI has no knowledge of term dates/days it kind of falls apart following holidays etc. Also, I would love some weekly student charts to track individuals attendance histories (I am picturing an attendance graph not only for the current year, but possibly also comparing against the previous year).

 

I am thinking the best way to resolve this would be to create a date table in PowerBI. I would then add (and maintain) the following columns:

 

AcademicYear: 18-19

AcademicDay: 1, 2 etc.

AcademicWeek: 1, 2, 3 etc.

AcademicTerm: Spring, Autumn, Winter

 

Does this seem the most sensible way to go about it? Does anyone have any other suggestions that make more sense?

Posted

that'll work - but also worth mentioning to bromcom - there is a week structure put into Bromcom and if that was made available in BI it could avoid the need to duplicate and maintain this info. They recognise the value in power BI but I think its important they make it accessible as possible and maximise the value in having BI talking directly to the MIS. You're not getting that if your having to duplicate data structures in BI.

 

I note in vision they have more attendance summary datasets which do return aggregated data by week num but this falls down on a similar issue as its just an incremental so if you look at it by week you get gaps where looking over years. Its in Bromcom as terms and week number in that term - that would prob be the best way of naming it - you dont want to compare week 7 one year to week 1 of the next term one year due to differing lengths of terms. so comparing Aut 1 to Aut 1 would make sense. And that is there already in Bromcom just not available in the OData sources or the reporting engine to live link to that I can see.

Posted

Hi @CyBeRkId2002 we're working on all the info necessary to do curriculum analysis and that will include the academic year/term dates. Currently the spec is written up for the MAT Vision data feed but I'll ask the devs if we can add the same table to the MIS OData feed.

 

I had a look to see if a current MIS report could act as a stand in (you can feed Table Reports into BI using the Live Data Feed button). There isn't a perfect match, but if you use the domain student timetables you can pull out a list of dates when school is in session, which you'll still have to chop around a bit in BI, but it'd be easier than building up a calendar table from scratch.

 

Ed

  • 8 months later...
Posted

Hi - noticing the reference to BI - I need to look at this for Bromcom analysis but my IT guy says it costs - about £120 a year? Is this the case as someone mentioned that schools should get this free? Keen to start playing with data more (sad I know :-) )

Thanks

Posted (edited)

essentially no. bromcom can use a single free account to share any published reports to all users of your MIS. If you want to differentiate by user - i.e. different people see different reports then yes your need a pro to share reports to discrete audiences.

 

But certainly to get going you can use the free license in 365. We are looking at PRO accounts just to enable certain key staff access to the communication/chat features available in the PowerBI app to enable efficient flagging and discussion of any interesting points discovered in the analysis. We've produced a lot of valuable info so if anything our challenge now is enabling staff to recognise it and utilise it - this is a new problem !

 

Even then at edu pricing your looking at £3-4 per user per month but to get starting and playing there is no reason to be paying for a PRO account. We have all our attendance, exclusion, behaviour and contextual data shared to each school via a free BI account - so I'd suggest it will be a while before you getting to the point where your thinking I've got all these reports/dashboards and I really need to distribute them to different audiences.

Edited by DODICT
Posted

Thanks - my guy is still sayings it's not free - as we aren't on the A5 plan which is expensive.

Looking at the websites it looks like we can get it free so confused! He wants to wait until May when we renew our licence, but I could do with it now :-(

Posted

The way BI works is you make dashboards with a windows program called Power BI Desktop - free to download from here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/

 

Once you've built your dashboard you can publish it to a Power BI Free account - no payment details needed to register - sign up for free here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/landing/signin/

@DODICT is right that it's best to start free and you can even share dashboards published to free accounts in Bromcom by putting the microsoft account login details as 'shared account' in Analysis| Power BI Configuration in Bromcom.

 

If you start using BI with lots of different users, or you want to use permissions in BI so different people have access to different data then you need Pro accounts which cost money - but to get started there's no need to spend anything.

 

Check out my blog powerbiforschools.blogspot.com for tips on how to do ed related things in BI

 

Good luck

 

Ed

  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted
Hoping somebody out there can help. Started using PowerBi with Bromcom last year and was then assuming that this year would be able to make comparisons to last year but when I refreshed the data last week I just got this year’s data and last year’s isn’t pulling through. Any help appreciated, thank you.
Posted
Started using PowerBi with Bromcom last year and was then assuming that this year would be able to make comparisons to last year but when I refreshed the data last week I just got this year’s data and last year’s isn’t pulling through.

 

The big drawback of custom BI datafeeds like Bromcom's OData is that you get what you're given.

 

As a workaround you can:

- create an ad hoc report in Bromcom with the data you want from last year

- Use the live data feed option to get a weblink to bring the data into BI (in power query choose Web as the data source, paste in the link and authenticate type basic wiht your school's 5 digit id and your API key)

- Still in Power Query make sure this last year data query has the same column names as the OData one (case sensitive). Then select the orginal query and use 'Append' to add the new one to it.

 

That will mean your table in BI combines this years data (from OData) and last years (from the report).

 

It means wrestling with Bromcom's garbage reporting module but you should be able to do that once then forget about it.

Posted
Quick reports are proving more useful as you can show different time periods in the same report. Dont think I use the OData feed, just live feed from reports.

 

I'm really pleased to hear you are finding Quick Reports useful - we've worked hard on updating the Adhoc reporting engine in Bromcom and Quick Report is becoming the default report type, making the others redundant. Quick Report allows really easy cross-domain reporting and, as you have highlighted, you can have as many time intervals in the same report as you need. It has inbuilt calculations and Excel-like functions so you need to do less post-processing of your data, and it's sooo much quicker than traditional report types in Bromcom! :)

 

Hoping somebody out there can help. Started using PowerBi with Bromcom last year and was then assuming that this year would be able to make comparisons to last year but when I refreshed the data last week I just got this year’s data and last year’s isn’t pulling through. Any help appreciated, thank you.

 

If you are using OData from MAT Vision, you should have access to the last three academic years of data. What is it you would like to report on? Feel free to drop me a message if I can help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...