Knil92 Posted February 19, 2019 Posted February 19, 2019 Hey, just wondering if any one has tried the Ruby language and what their thoughts are about it? I've had a little look at it and it looks quite simple or is it just a deceptive language?
dhicks Posted February 19, 2019 Posted February 19, 2019 just wondering if any one has tried the Ruby language and what their thoughts are about it? Any answer and/or your usage of any language is going to be very context-dependant - can you give any more details on what you are trying to achive? Are you picking a general-purpose language to learn that has wide usage (which Ruby does, although mostly for web development), or do you have a specific usage in mind? If it's any help, I'm currently developing something using a couple of static site generators, one (Jekyll) written in Ruby, one (Hugo) written in Go. The Ruby-based tool was way more palavar to get set up, and wound up with a library version conflict with another tool. All solveable, and if I had more experience with Ruby I'm sure it'd have taken me a few minutes to fix, but the Go-based tool installed by simply being copied to the relevant computer and run, no other installation needed.
Knil92 Posted February 19, 2019 Author Posted February 19, 2019 Yeah, basically a general purpose things, I dont have something that I need to make right now, but at the minute I'm using visual studio and vb .net to make the stuff that I need.
dhicks Posted February 19, 2019 Posted February 19, 2019 at the minute I'm using visual studio and vb .net to make the stuff that I need. I find PythonAnywhere very handy as an environment that has everything you'd want already installed and ready to hand, so you don't spend a bunch of time installing (and sorting out conflicts for) a bunch of libraries and the start of each thing you do. That's for Python, I don't know if there's an equivilant for Ruby.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now