mant01 Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 Hi all, Does anyone know whether its possible to synchronise your local outlook calendar to the shared calendar on Sharepoint? You can manually drag appointments over to the sharepoint calendar but I cant see a way of doing this automatically. We are on Windows XP and using Office 2007. Cheers Tony
shutdownplease Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 i can import a sharepoint calender into outlook but its read only and not the direction you want to go will be very interested in hearing a solution to this
mant01 Posted April 28, 2008 Author Posted April 28, 2008 thanks for the reply, i am beginning to think that its not possible which is a pity. I was asked to setup a calendar share for the head and his PA and I was sure SharePoint was my answer...along with other useful features!!
meastaugh1 Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 thanks for the reply, i am beginning to think that its not possible which is a pity. I think WSS3/Outlook 2007 should do what you want, as they are capacble of two-way synchronisation when used together. Previous versions of Outlook are only capable of receiving info from WSS and not writing back to it. Alternatively, if you have Exchange, just share the head's calendar with the PA.
mant01 Posted April 28, 2008 Author Posted April 28, 2008 Hi, thanks for getting back to me. You have lifted my spirits slightly because I beginning to think it wasnt possible. Even though I could manually drag items over into my sharepoint calender it does make you think it must be possible. We dont have exchange here which is why I was trying to utilise the cheaper option of WSS. There is probably some script or something somewhere that will help.
meastaugh1 Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 Have you tried connecting your WSS3 calendar to Outlook 2007? What are the results?
mant01 Posted April 28, 2008 Author Posted April 28, 2008 Hi, Within WSS3 i connect to Outlook and it opens up the calendar alongside my local calendar. I can then manually drag items over into it but I can see a way of synchronising the items over.
meastaugh1 Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 Sorry, I meant the sharepoint calendar that opens in your Outlook can be synchronised with WSS3, meaning that both users will be working on the same Calendar, albeit with a bit of a delay due to synching. Does this not meet your requirement?
mant01 Posted April 28, 2008 Author Posted April 28, 2008 They both can see the sharepoint calendar, thats ok. The problem being is that the Head has a blackberry that he plugs into his laptop to synchronise his schedule and of course that updates his local calendar not the shared one. I appreciate your time helping me!!!
apearce Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 WSS calendar is published through RSS to your outlook client you can't send it from the client through to WSS im afraid. Do you use exchange as your Head could delegate access through Outlook to allow other users to see the calendar?
mant01 Posted April 28, 2008 Author Posted April 28, 2008 No we dont have exchange which is why I was trying to use this cheaper option. Ok thanks for your reply!
meastaugh1 Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 One last suggestion would be the following (and it does seem unnecessarily complicated for what you want to do): Sync your Outlook calendar with Google Calendar. Synchronize Google Calendar With Outlook Synch your Blackberry with Google Calendar. Google launches Blackberry Sync for Google Calendar and Google Apps | The Search Lab I guess that could work in theory, but have no idea well it would in practice. 1
mant01 Posted April 28, 2008 Author Posted April 28, 2008 Thanks for your help meastaugh1. I will have a look at the possibilities tomorrow. Thanks once again! Tony
GrumbleDook Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 One last suggestion would be the following (and it does seem unnecessarily complicated for what you want to do): Sync your Outlook calendar with Google Calendar. Synchronize Google Calendar With Outlook Synch your Blackberry with Google Calendar. Google launches Blackberry Sync for Google Calendar and Google Apps | The Search Lab I guess that could work in theory, but have no idea well it would in practice. Tried it a few weeks back and it works a treat.
mant01 Posted April 29, 2008 Author Posted April 29, 2008 Ok this might actually be a plan until we get exchange or something later. Ive done some testings (not the blackberry bit yet) and sync seems to be doing a good job. Thanks to everyone for their help, much appreciated
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now