flashsnaps Posted April 24, 2008 Posted April 24, 2008 Hi all, I have a windows xp pro machine wich keeps turning off after the xp splat. I need to get into recovery console to fixboot, mbr or one of them. I can't get into the recovery console though, when I boot from an XP disk - it just doesn't come up? Takes me straight through, as if installing xp. Can't get into safe mode either. Any ideas?
Gerry Posted April 24, 2008 Posted April 24, 2008 Hi all, I have a windows xp pro machine wich keeps turning off after the xp splat. I need to get into recovery console to fixboot, mbr or one of them. I can't get into the recovery console though, when I boot from an XP disk - it just doesn't come up? Takes me straight through, as if installing xp. Since your computer boots partway into XP, I doubt it's anything to do with boot sector or MBR. Most likely a corrupt driver. Can't get into safe mode either. To get to safe mode, keep tapping F8 when POST starts and keep going until a menu appears. To get to recovery console: Recovery Console - How to Enter Windows XP Recovery Console
ricki Posted April 24, 2008 Posted April 24, 2008 What I would do is Boot the computer from a ultimate boot disk and check out the hardware and run a hard drive check from the manufacturers website who produce the hard disk. This rules takes time but if say your hard drive is failing and the you repair the os it will fail again. Run a repair install from a volume licience key install cd and then put all windows updates back on. Or if there is no important data on it ghost it and or start again. Just an Idea. Richard
Michael Posted April 24, 2008 Posted April 24, 2008 That's really strange, because normally you're given the option to install XP or use the Recovery Console on the first screen. The only other thing I can think of, is you may need to load SATA driver for XP to see your hard disk.
Netman Posted April 24, 2008 Posted April 24, 2008 That's really strange, because normally you're given the option to install XP or use the Recovery Console on the first screen. The only other thing I can think of, is you may need to load SATA driver for XP to see your hard disk. Yep - I've had a similar thing recently with some HP DX2250's - jsut don't want to play with the SATA controller... there is an option in the BIOS to change from auto detect IIRC I think that helped...
flashsnaps Posted April 28, 2008 Author Posted April 28, 2008 Hi thanks for the help guys, went ahead and ran segate tools utility - which found a few errors and repaired them, and all is working now.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now