sidewinder Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 Fitted a new drive, copied a year groups folder over, now when I look at each pupils folder its defaulted to being owned by admin. I dont really want to go through them all again, so how can you copy and keep all permissions. I assume its really easy to do with the command line but Im not that experianced with osx yet...is there a GUI way?
sparkeh Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 Hmm...making a tar then moving it, then untar will preserve permissions. Working off the top of my head but something like: % tar cpf - inputdir | (cd /Users/someone/archive/stuff; tar xpf -) should do it? (the p flag preserves permissons)
sparkeh Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 (edited) cp -p should do it Really? Im not convinced that will work with Mac files (could be wrong but I would use the tar method to make sure.) Edited April 17, 2008 by sparkeh
sidewinder Posted April 17, 2008 Author Posted April 17, 2008 Well Ill try the cp method first I cant seem to get anything to copy though, am I doing this right? cp -p Constable Volumes/"Data 2"/Constable I dont get any error messages from that, but nothing seems to copy either When I type that Im in Volumes/Data 1 and Constable is the folder, Ive also created a folder called Constable on Data 2
DMcCoy Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 Really? Im not convinced that will work with Mac files (could be wrong but I would use the tar method to make sure.) it will even copy any ACLs and resource forks you may have, most of the unix tools have been modified on os x to support apple specific features.
sparkeh Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 (edited) it will even copy any ACLs and resource forks you may have, most of the unix tools have been modified on os x to support apple specific features. Oh from past experience, if cp comes across any files with resources then you can get problems, like resource forks being deleted. Perhaps things have changed. Edited April 17, 2008 by sparkeh
DMcCoy Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 Well Ill try the cp method first I cant seem to get anything to copy though, am I doing this right? cp -p Constable Volumes/"Data 2"/Constable I dont get any error messages from that, but nothing seems to copy either When I type that Im in Volumes/Data 1 and Constable is the folder, Ive also created a folder called Constable on Data 2 Something like this if you want subfolders copied too cp -p -R /Volumes/RAIDA/Custom /Volumes/RAIDB/ this copies the Custom folder from /Volumes/RAIDA/ to /Volumes/RAIDB The -R is for recursive, but as sparkeh mentioned it will mess with things like links, as I don't have any on my user home folders I've moved all their data around a few times with cp.
DMcCoy Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 I should point out that this applies to 10.4 and above only. 10.3 unix tools don't copy resource forks and other things, so something like tar should be used (if it does support them in 10.3)
sidewinder Posted April 17, 2008 Author Posted April 17, 2008 Aha I was about to say, it all copied but permissions all set to default...and Im on 10.3 Will try the tar method then At least Ive learned something new!
DMcCoy Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 Aha I was about to say, it all copied but permissions all set to default...and Im on 10.3 Will try the tar method then At least Ive learned something new! Aparently according to wikipedia "Until the advent of Mac OS X v10.4, the standard UNIX command line utilities in Mac OS X (such as cp and mv) did not respect resource forks. To copy files with resource forks, one had to use ditto or CpMac and MvMac." I'm afraid 10.4 is *SO* much better than 10.3, with, well - everything. Much better AD support, ACLs etc. 10.3 is a bit rubbish
sidewinder Posted April 17, 2008 Author Posted April 17, 2008 Aparently according to wikipedia "Until the advent of Mac OS X v10.4, the standard UNIX command line utilities in Mac OS X (such as cp and mv) did not respect resource forks. To copy files with resource forks, one had to use ditto or CpMac and MvMac." I'm afraid 10.4 is *SO* much better than 10.3, with, well - everything. Much better AD support, ACLs etc. 10.3 is a bit rubbish Yeah its frustrating, keep reading about different things but cant do any of it because we're on 10.3 New server on its way soon though with 10.5 so dont have to put up with it for long
sparkeh Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 Aparently according to wikipedia "Until the advent of Mac OS X v10.4, the standard UNIX command line utilities in Mac OS X (such as cp and mv) did not respect resource forks. To copy files with resource forks, one had to use ditto or CpMac and MvMac." I'm afraid 10.4 is *SO* much better than 10.3, with, well - everything. Much better AD support, ACLs etc. 10.3 is a bit rubbish Ah right yes, 10.3 was the last time I seriously used a Mac. Glad I'm not going mad
sidewinder Posted April 17, 2008 Author Posted April 17, 2008 oh ffs lol Tried the tar method All copied fine, but again no permissions! I typed: tar cpf - /Volumes/DATA1/Constable | (cd /Volumes/DATA2/tartest; tar xpf -) Anything wrong with that? (btw in case you're wondering I changed the volume names because I didnt want to keep having to put " round them)
sparkeh Posted April 17, 2008 Posted April 17, 2008 Ummmmm.... Are you doing this as root? Not clear that this would make a difference but worth a try?
sidewinder Posted April 17, 2008 Author Posted April 17, 2008 Nah I wasnt Just ran it again as root and its worked! Thanksss
sidewinder Posted April 21, 2008 Author Posted April 21, 2008 OK maybe not as much of a success as I thought Few sixth formers in on the training day today, and half of their photoshop files have sort of 'lost' their file type and cant be opened by Photoshop. Its not all of them though which is strange Thank god I kept the original folders on the old drive, so Ive reverted to them for now, but any ideas?
DMcCoy Posted April 21, 2008 Posted April 21, 2008 It's not copied the resource forks, as tar doesn't support them on 10.3, you need to use ditto, CpMac or MvMac according to wikipedia.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now