jthompson Posted June 8, 2018 Posted June 8, 2018 With a password manager like KeePass you could. Store them in there, then secure the KeePass database with a keyfile, which you store.... oh, wait.
enjay Posted June 8, 2018 Posted June 8, 2018 That's an interesting perspective: that it's accepted in the industry that an encryption key is far more secure than a password, but the school policy explicitly bans their use on the grounds of 'security'. I didn't say not to use encryption keys, I said not to store them in a stupid place. The same way I tell any staff who insist on writing down passwords to write them down in a masked way not on a page headed "my passwords" and not with the usernames as well.
mjk Posted June 8, 2018 Posted June 8, 2018 I didn't say not to use encryption keys, I said not to store them in a stupid place. The same way I tell any staff who insist on writing down passwords to write them down in a masked way not on a page headed "my passwords" and not with the usernames as well. yes I understood that. I was just pointing out that policies often don't take things like keys into consideration.
Anonimouse Posted June 14, 2018 Posted June 14, 2018 We only block writing to USB so copying photos etc can be done as normal Do you use a GPO to enforce this, or some specific software package?
artfulmatt Posted June 15, 2018 Posted June 15, 2018 We've just told all staff to encrypt usb with a plan to removing them completely over the next year. I now need to update GPO on each laptop....We have Sophos, but doesn't detect devices that have bitlocker. Onedrive guides are now being sent out.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now