timbo343 Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 Is there a way in moodle 1.9, when users log into moodle they can see their home folder which is located on another server? We have implemented LDAP logons so users use the same logon for moodle and the network. If anyone knows, let me know Thanks Tim
ICTNUT Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 I too would be intrested if anyone can come up with a solution to this as I have been looking for a way to intergrate as much into moodle as possible.
Iain Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 The Windows Share Web Client block claims to be able to do this if your Moodle installation is running on a *nix platform. No idea if it works though. Iain.
timbo343 Posted April 14, 2008 Author Posted April 14, 2008 Thanks, Though i need it to run on windows.
Shwaa Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 The Windows Share Web Client block claims to be able to do this if your Moodle installation is running on a *nix platform. No idea if it works though. Iain. We use it here and seems to work fine for us, though we are still running Moodle 1.8x, so I can't comment on how well it works with 1.9. It uses samba to retrieve the files, so you have to use a *nix. I don't know enough about php or windows, but I guess it might be possible to port if you could replicate smbclient's functionality with some standard windows tool/api.
Geoff Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 smbclient is available for windows. Index of /tng/snapshot/win32
Shwaa Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 In which case it might be worth trying on windows, assuming that its only *nix related dependency is smbclient.
CyberNerd Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 We use it here and seems to work fine for us, though we are still running Moodle 1.8x, so I can't comment on how well it works with 1.9. We use it too, I can confirm it works fine with 1.9
dhicks Posted April 14, 2008 Posted April 14, 2008 Is there a way in moodle 1.9, when users log into moodle they can see their home folder which is located on another server? Can you mount the remote volume as your Moodle user directory? I know NTFS lets you mount separate local harddrives in empty folders, does it let you mount remote ones too? -- David Hicks
danIT Posted April 23, 2008 Posted April 23, 2008 Has anyone considered security implications with the SMB web client for Moodle?
CyberNerd Posted April 23, 2008 Posted April 23, 2008 Has anyone considered security implications with the SMB web client for Moodle? Make sure the site runs on https, otherwise the smbclient will try and transmit in clear. Otherwise it just uses the users name/password, it doesn't mount the server as admin or anything. I don't see a problem if the samba is set up correctly.
ombre Posted May 12, 2008 Posted May 12, 2008 Another option ( if you have a ftp server) is to use active directory integrated ftp and set it to use the users home folder, this would then give the users ftp access to their home folder. Then use the Net2FTP front end running on the moodle server. it doesnt work as single sign on but can be put in moodle as a web link.
mrforgetful Posted July 15, 2008 Posted July 15, 2008 How do I combine the two resources in this thread to enable User Area mapping when Moodle is installed on Windows Server?
CyberNerd Posted July 15, 2008 Posted July 15, 2008 How do I combine the two resources in this thread to enable User Area mapping when Moodle is installed on Windows Server? you'd probably need to re-write the block so that it uses the smbclient that geoff linked to.
mrforgetful Posted July 15, 2008 Posted July 15, 2008 Ah ok. Well I shall leave it for now, just in the middle of looking at other methods. Interestingly, WebDAV should be available in 1.9 but I can't find it where it's mentioned...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now