localzuk Posted March 9, 2018 Posted March 9, 2018 So, as the title suggests, we are going to be migrating our main cluster from Hyper-V to VMWare soon. Has anyone done this themselves, and if so, do you have any tips?
PotNoodleTech Posted March 9, 2018 Posted March 9, 2018 Out of interest, how come? Gonna work out more expensive! When I moved from VMWare to Hyper-V I thought I was going to miss VMware a lot, but I don't.
ADMaster Posted March 10, 2018 Posted March 10, 2018 I went the other way around too and MS has a tool to convert vmdk to vhd/x. I believe virtual box will convert between formats. I think you have 3 options. 1. If vmware has a tool for the job, unlikely as your asking. I've not used vmware for about 5 years now. 2. Use something to convert the disks. Make a copy, convert, attach to new VM with the same settings. 3. Use your backups to do a BMR into vmware. I let the systems run side by side for a time and just slowly converted a few servers at a time. Some servers were left until they retired because they just didn't want to move nicely. Although newer versions of windows handle hardware changes better. One of the servers that stayed for a while was a Linux VM because hyper-v didn't support it at the time. That won't be an issue for you because it is supported now and you're going the other way.
FN-GM Posted March 10, 2018 Posted March 10, 2018 So, as the title suggests, we are going to be migrating our main cluster from Hyper-V to VMWare soon. Has anyone done this themselves, and if so, do you have any tips? I haven't done it this way so I am not 100% sure it will work but have you seen the Vmware converter tool? Thanks
ADMaster Posted March 10, 2018 Posted March 10, 2018 Ah good idea, I didn't think of that, option 4 treat it as a p2v.
rich_tech Posted March 10, 2018 Posted March 10, 2018 VMware converter all the way, makes p2v / v2v pretty flawless, I converted physical, Citrix xenserver and virtualbox straight into the cluster I built
Domino Posted March 10, 2018 Posted March 10, 2018 VMWare converter will do it as a v2v no problem. Don't forget to install vmware tools, and remove legacy hardware by starting devmgmt as below set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 start devmgmt.msc In addition, use vmxnet3 network drivers, and add data drives to a second SCSI controller of type "paravirtual"
3s-gtech Posted March 10, 2018 Posted March 10, 2018 VMWare Converter is excellent. Not used it for several years as we're mostly Hyper-V, but still got an ESXi box and found it very easy to convert physical and virtual to it. Could be pretty time intensive if you have lots of hosts/VMs.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now