Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

Our school library uses Heritage, and we don't have a support contract (it turns out), which doesn't exactly help matters.

One of the Librarians is using the Cataloguing module.

When she reads in the bar code of a "new" book (i.e. not on our local catalogue), she expects to see displayed the result of a successful lookup on that barcode, a lookup which has queried the BL database and/or the Library of congress database. This would display to her her how these libraries have catalogued this item, and give her a little model, I guess, that she can use.

 

However, this lookup is failing on her computer. So the fields describing the book remain blank except for the barcode, and the "Search" button following the barcode lookup is greyed out, you can't manually press it or activate it. And the software seems to "think" it's running a search, which it isn't!

 

The problem is unique to her machine. The other librarian does exactly the same check, on her computer, which is identically configured, and has Heritage installed identically, and the external lookup works perfectly for her.

 

So I'm a bit stumped. I've checked proxy on the "faulty" machine, and it's all set as standard, just as with the other librarian for whom Heritage is working.

 

Anyone got any ideas? I'd really be most grateful!

 

Best wishes,

Paul

Posted

Step 1 - restart the Heritage server. It had been my experience that this fixed 95% of Heritage problems.

Step 2 - reinstall Heritage on the offending PC. Actually remove Heritage, run CCleaner against the registry, make sure all the files are really gone before you reinstall.

Step 3 - go to the pub, 'cus I'm out of ideas (or maybe get some support from Heritage).

Posted

Hi Unixman...

 

Many thanks for your advice, especially No. 3! Quite fed up with Heritage, I have to say. However, I hit lucky, and found a solution before your reply came in. Basically something called "Quick Cat", which is the thing that does the external lookups, so you can import the catalogue details from the lookup, was by default (??) turned off in Cataloguing settings. I turned it back on, and the external lookups worked! So problem solved. As to why it was turned off for this user on that computer (and not for the same user account - yest they share a generic account - on another computer), I've no idea.

Best wishes,

Paul

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...