Gongalong Posted October 29, 2017 Posted October 29, 2017 Hi folks, We currently use CrashPlan for file backup, which is cost effective, but I'm looking at backup of whole VMs to make any site recovery much smoother. I've looked at various solutions, with a wide range of costs. Most recently I've spotted that IDrive has a Hyper-V backup, and they would seem to be down the low end of cost. Does anyone out there do whole VM backup of Hyper-V, and can recommend a provider? Is it possible to do this to the cloud and get it to work, bandwidth-wise? (We have 500Mb) Thanks
FN-GM Posted October 29, 2017 Posted October 29, 2017 Have you considered DPM? It can do this no problem. 1
junz Posted October 29, 2017 Posted October 29, 2017 Hi, Try using a company called Redstor. They specialise in this sort of thing. Another company that does this thing is safedatastorage. Excellent support. They monitor your backups and let you know if they fail. Also they walk you through the backup and restore process and even do a test recovery. 2
Gongalong Posted October 30, 2017 Author Posted October 30, 2017 @FN-GM We use Veeam for whole VM backup locally, and I'm aware there are some companies with Veeam connectors that can be used for cloud backup (possibly including Redstor).
zag Posted October 30, 2017 Posted October 30, 2017 Yep Veeam works well in this scenario and is quite cheap in my opinion. 1
JackCPickup Posted October 30, 2017 Posted October 30, 2017 We use CloudBerry for our cloud backup service. 1
Gongalong Posted October 30, 2017 Author Posted October 30, 2017 @zag Veeam is quite well priced, but cloud backup costs are several thousand pounds (we're looking for somewhere between 5-10TB of space). The prices are surprisingly variable depending who you talk to, but I haven't contacted many suppliers. I like Redstor because of their proven history! https://www.redstor.com/press/site-backup-saves-school-data-fire 1
zag Posted October 30, 2017 Posted October 30, 2017 You could just whack a 14tb disk into a dedicated server host. Shouldn't be that expensive and Veeam can copy the files pretty easily. 1
DSapseid Posted November 7, 2017 Posted November 7, 2017 I like Redstor because of their proven history! https://www.redstor.com/press/site-backup-saves-school-data-fire Yes go for Redstor! This is my school in the article so i am the walking proof that their solution works! We have funnily enough just renewed for another year with them (think its the start of our 4th year with them now). Dont think i will look at any other backup ever again as they saved everything in my school, i lost 0 files. 2
Gongalong Posted November 7, 2017 Author Posted November 7, 2017 My only problem with Redstor is cost, although I appreciate they're in the UK, and a proven quantity.
Gongalong Posted November 7, 2017 Author Posted November 7, 2017 @zag I wouldn't know how to get Veeam to copy to a dedicated host
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now