OllyM Posted September 4, 2017 Posted September 4, 2017 Hi All We have an older ProLiant ML350 G6 server with a Smart Array P410i raid controller. It currently has a load of HP EH0300FBQDD 300GB 15k 2.5" SAS drives. One of them has gone in predictive fail so I need to swap it. Can I use non-HP SAS drives with that controller as part of an existing RAID5 without any great issue? I'm keen to stick reduce our budget spend at the moment. Olly
EmilJanowiak Posted September 5, 2017 Posted September 5, 2017 Hey Olly, In reality, you want at least same speed HDD and same or bigger hard drive to work correctly, If they cutting on your budget i would potentially look into refurb hdd Here are information you need to find hard drive you need Option Part# 627117-B21 Spare Part# 627195-001 Assembly Part# 627114-002 Model# EH0300FBQDD Base on spare part Nr you can find compatible I hope this will help
OllyM Posted September 5, 2017 Author Posted September 5, 2017 Thanks Emil So, in general, the raid controller won't complain too loudly if I use a non-HP branded SAS drive in there? Olly
eddyc Posted September 5, 2017 Posted September 5, 2017 Thanks Emil So, in general, the raid controller won't complain too loudly if I use a non-HP branded SAS drive in there? Olly Hi Ollie, it's a bit hit and miss. In one raid I tried some western digital drives and it was fine for a month then kept playing up saying predicted failure. I rma'd the drives but WD said they were fine. I replaced them with HP drives when this happened and they've been online since. Incidentally I'm using the western digital drives in a drive enclosure and they're also fine. eddyc
RobD Posted September 6, 2017 Posted September 6, 2017 I'm sure you've checked but make sure its not under warranty still on the off chance HP will replace it.
OllyM Posted September 6, 2017 Author Posted September 6, 2017 I went for a Seagate one in the end. Was just in our budget and, on paper at least, matches the requirements and the product page even said it was compatible with the spare part product code.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now