alan-d Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 Our music teacher would like to have laptops to loan to students with Sibelius installed. I'm not sure what sort of spec to advise him on. I presume he needs a decent sound card and a reasonable amount of disk space and memory. Any suggestions would be helpful, I'm not too clued up on music stuff!!
powdarrmonkey Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 For Sibelius, you need a good general spec machine. It's not over-heavy on sound, but it is quite an intensive app generally.
Guest Guest Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 Depends what you are using Sibelius for. If its real time stuff like recording from a midi keyboard then yeah you need a decent spec. If its just for messing about with the notations and general playback type stuff then a celeron will manage (just)
dhicks Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 I presume he needs a decent sound card and a reasonable amount of disk space and memory. If you're recording sound through the analogue microphone input on a laptop you might get a lot of interferance. I used to use an external USB sound card on my laptop - you can get them from specialised music suppliers, or actually Argos sell them for something like £20 each. I've just this minute got a catalogue through the post for http://www.music-technology.com, who sell specialised laptops for music-related stuff. These seem to cost around £850, but that includes a wodge of software. I don't know enough to recommend this company as such, I've just got the catalouge. You might also like to look at something like Ubuntu Sutdio, a ready-to-go audio studio on a CD. -- David Hicks
john Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 You want at least 1GB Ram and a Dual Core CPU for the latest Sibelius, and if your going to make the most of the sound libraries within it then I would go for more ram. Also it seems to have issues and run slow on AMD Dual Core PCs but prefer Intel ones, but I need to do more investigation on that but it seems to be that way in my setup. 1
Morgan Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 try the dell inspiron e series or the cheaper XPS they usually are resanobley priced and rode ready
TronXP Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Our music teachers are using sibelius on Lenovo T60 laptops, I would advise staying away from celerons, and at least a 1gb of RAM. An external usb sound card can be useful but 90% of the time the onboard sound does for what our Music teachers want. (+ USB to MIDI cable)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now