6Foot2 Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 (edited) I have just been reminded of my 'favorite' error message to date. It was featured on the back page of Computing in backbytes. I think it was an Excel dialog box with the simple message: 'Not Enough' I can't find that one to post but I think this one is nearly as good [stumbled accross it while looking for something else and I just had to share it] Edited March 12, 2008 by ZeroHour
mattx Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 I have just been reminded of my 'favorite' error message to date. It was featured on the back page of Computing in backbytes. I think it was an Excel dialog box with the simple message: 'Not Enough' I can't find that one to post but I think this one is nearly as good [stumbled accross it while looking for something else and I just had to share it] Heh, that was off a WTF story this week. I saw that one too. http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Too-Many-Fingers.aspx
Joanne Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 That's so cool. The error message that used to freak me out was a quicktime one that went along the lines of: "your file associations are not set up properly, I can set them up" Huh? You are an "I" now?!
OutToLunch Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 I'm still a fan of this one which is in one of our lovely pieces of educational software. It occurs when you resize a font too large for a single word on a line. It doesn't bother shrinking the font to the max size that will fit, or warn you that this is what's wrong. Just dumps this at you and mangles all existing formatting... http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2949/fataled5.gif http://www.edugeek.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13763
6Foot2 Posted March 6, 2008 Author Posted March 6, 2008 For those Unix fans out there [i am not familiar with Linux but I can see the humour in these] % cat "food in cans" cat: can't open food in cans % nice man woman No manual entry for woman. % rm God rm: God nonexistent % ar t God ar: God does not exist % "How would you rate Quayle's incompetence? Unmatched ". % [Where is Jimmy Hoffa? Missing ]. % ^How did the sex change operation go?^ Modifier failed. % make love Make: Don't know how to make love. Stop. % got a light? No match. % man: why did you get a divorce? man:: Too many arguments. % !:say, what is saccharine? Bad substitute. % %blow %blow: No such job. $ PATH=pretending! /usr/ucb/which sense no sense in pretending!
Ryan Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 Reminds me of these Japanese Haiku error messages. Add a little poetry to your day. -------------------------------------------- The Web site you seek Cannot be located, but Countless more exist. -------------------------------------------- Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return. -------------------------------------------- Program aborting Close all that you have worked on. You ask far too much. -------------------------------------------- Windows NT crashed. I am the Blue Screen of Death. No one hears your screams. -------------------------------------------- Yesterday it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that. -------------------------------------------- Your file was so big. It might be very useful. But now it is gone. -------------------------------------------- Stay the patient course. Of little worth is your ire. The network is down. -------------------------------------------- A crash reduces Your expensive computer To a simple stone. -------------------------------------------- Three things are certain Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred. -------------------------------------------- You step in the stream, But the water has moved on. This page is not here. -------------------------------------------- Out of memory. We wish to hold the whole sky, But we never will. -------------------------------------------- Having been erased, The document you're seeking Must now be retyped. -------------------------------------------- Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank. -------------------------------------------- (Aids. Just noticed this was previously posted elsewhere. If you have previously seen the contents of this post, avert thine eyes before continuing to the next)
6Foot2 Posted March 6, 2008 Author Posted March 6, 2008 (edited) Here is one from around the same time as the one I first alluded to at the beginning of this thread: It is really small and the quality is poor, so apologies in advance. Edited March 6, 2008 by 6Foot2
elsiegee40 Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 @Ryan - Love them! I'm truly tempted to convert a few of our custom error messages into Haiku - wonder if anyone would notice?
mattx Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 http://www.b3tards.com/u/a609ede35986cfd048a1/dibley-messenger.gif
mattx Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 http://www.thewebmistress.com.au/stuff/blog/click.gif
mattx Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 http://www.b3tards.com/u/a609ede35986cfd048a1/vader-error-padme.jpg
mattx Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/37069/1182427222/haha.gif
mattx Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/56932/1182460533/MrT.gif
Gatt Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 My favourite is. Keyboard Error: Press F1 to continue...
6Foot2 Posted March 26, 2008 Author Posted March 26, 2008 (edited) Here is another I saw on Digg this morning: Edited March 26, 2008 by 6Foot2 Attached picture not loading properly: Remove picture and upload again.
SimpleSi Posted March 26, 2008 Posted March 26, 2008 I used to particularly like the BBC Micro one Error - missing " at end of line And the many times I exaplined to the computer that if it was so *&%$£^ clever, why don't you just put it in and stop bothering me regards Simon
DSapseid Posted March 26, 2008 Posted March 26, 2008 @ gatt - yeh thats my favourite as well, how the hell can you pres f1 to continue if it cant find the damn keyboard!!!
Dos_Box Posted March 27, 2008 Posted March 27, 2008 I had Imagecast come up with 'Some unknown terrible thing has happened. Imagecast will now close' Made me smile as I lost an hours worth of re-imaging.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now