mdrabble Posted October 5, 2016 Posted October 5, 2016 Having a play with Nagios and have it monitoring all my printers and so far so good. I'm thinking of adding my Servers to Nagios by installing the Windows client NClient+ Before I do - are there any reasons why I shouldn't install NClient+ Cheers :-)
TwistedHelixis Posted October 5, 2016 Posted October 5, 2016 Not used Nagios but I would start by browsing there forums and then Google for server issues or errors.
Geoff Posted October 5, 2016 Posted October 5, 2016 Icinga scales more robustly than Nagios and doesn't have those clunky configuration files. https://www.icinga.org Also look at using check_mk. Check_MK It's more robust than just using NSClient++ and vanilla Nagios checks. It comes with it's own Windows agent. 1
pcstru Posted October 5, 2016 Posted October 5, 2016 Having a play with Nagios and have it monitoring all my printers and so far so good. I'm thinking of adding my Servers to Nagios by installing the Windows client NClient+ Before I do - are there any reasons why I shouldn't install NClient+ Cheers :-) Security (another surface for someone to attack) and it is just another thing to break! Both are minimal risks if you are competent. We run it here on numerous servers and it has never been the source of a problem. 1
pete Posted October 5, 2016 Posted October 5, 2016 If you're starting from scratch, use Icinga and integrate Check_MK as Geoff suggests. Check_MK is also a lighter load on the server running Icinga. We've been using NSClient with Nagios and then Icinga for years. Read the manual, secure it properly and you'll be fine. 1
mdrabble Posted October 5, 2016 Author Posted October 5, 2016 I've only just installed Nagios and got the printer monitoring up and running so I'll shutdown that VM and spin up a new VM and give Icinga2 a try.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now