hardtailstar Posted September 16, 2016 Posted September 16, 2016 Hi All, I have been asked to deliver a Social Media training evening for my Scout Group. Does anyone have any presentations or resources that covers: - Account security - Differences of groups/pages - Facebook only - Age restrictions and anything else really. Thanks in advance
p858snake Posted September 24, 2016 Posted September 24, 2016 (edited) I think from memory @elsiegee40 has done some information up, or was that @witch? Also check with the Scouts UK headoffice (if you have luck with them ), by the looks of this factsheet http://members.scouts.org.uk/factsheets/FS103011.pdf they have some additional training and info sheets that could be used. http://www.gln-scouts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Online-Safeguarding-guidelines-v21.pdf seems to also have some relevant information. Edited September 24, 2016 by p858snake
elsiegee40 Posted September 24, 2016 Posted September 24, 2016 There's quite a lot of resources in the e-safety forum where I moved this thread. I'm operating on my iphone away from home, so it's hard to sort specific stuff out until next week.
esafety_officer Posted September 27, 2016 Posted September 27, 2016 My role is more to support schools etc but I may have some suggestions. There are some useful guides available online, most are aimed at parents rather than young people though: Facebook Checklist - Online Safety Services Parents and carers - Safer Internet Centre Net Aware - also really good for age restrictions For information about Facebook pages and groups then I find Facebooks help section really useful: Group Basics Page Basics Whats the difference between a Facebook page and group? Age restrictions: Under Age Use - Internet Matters Under 13s and social media - parents info This infographic can be useful for discussing age restrictions and the difference between app store rating etc. I've also used Net-Aware to have conversations with young people about age limit. Our safer professional practice with technology guidance document has some advice on why these limits are in place. I'd also be inclined to suggest not focusing too much on specific apps if you can - the privacy settings change so frequently and the popularity can vary with young people and this can make the presentation seem out of date or irrelevant very quickly. For example I'm finding less teenagers use Facebook in the traditional way and prefer to use it just for messenger. I'd focus on key behaviours to help reduce and respond to risk. Other links that may help are: Think U Know Childnet CBBC Stay Safe The other difficulty you may have will depend on the ages of the young people in the group. Content I'd suggest for 11-13 years olds would be very different to 14+ so you may need to think about this from a safeguarding perspective to make sure both yourself and young people aren't at risk. I'd suggest a discussion with your lead for safeguarding for your group (if you have one) or a discussion with Scouts UK Head office to ensure that you're following the safeguarding procedures etc. 2
hardtailstar Posted September 28, 2016 Author Posted September 28, 2016 I think from memory @elsiegee40 has done some information up, or was that @witch? Also check with the Scouts UK headoffice (if you have luck with them ), by the looks of this factsheet http://members.scouts.org.uk/factsheets/FS103011.pdf they have some additional training and info sheets that could be used. http://www.gln-scouts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Online-Safeguarding-guidelines-v21.pdf seems to also have some relevant information. Thanks, i did look but some of the bits I have been asked to do isn't in that.
hardtailstar Posted September 28, 2016 Author Posted September 28, 2016 My role is more to support schools etc but I may have some suggestions. There are some useful guides available online, most are aimed at parents rather than young people though: Facebook Checklist - Online Safety Services Parents and carers - Safer Internet Centre Net Aware - also really good for age restrictions For information about Facebook pages and groups then I find Facebooks help section really useful: Group Basics Page Basics Whats the difference between a Facebook page and group? Age restrictions: Under Age Use - Internet Matters Under 13s and social media - parents info This infographic can be useful for discussing age restrictions and the difference between app store rating etc. I've also used Net-Aware to have conversations with young people about age limit. Our safer professional practice with technology guidance document has some advice on why these limits are in place. I'd also be inclined to suggest not focusing too much on specific apps if you can - the privacy settings change so frequently and the popularity can vary with young people and this can make the presentation seem out of date or irrelevant very quickly. For example I'm finding less teenagers use Facebook in the traditional way and prefer to use it just for messenger. I'd focus on key behaviours to help reduce and respond to risk. Other links that may help are: Think U Know Childnet CBBC Stay Safe The other difficulty you may have will depend on the ages of the young people in the group. Content I'd suggest for 11-13 years olds would be very different to 14+ so you may need to think about this from a safeguarding perspective to make sure both yourself and young people aren't at risk. I'd suggest a discussion with your lead for safeguarding for your group (if you have one) or a discussion with Scouts UK Head office to ensure that you're following the safeguarding procedures etc. @esafety_officer I realize my OP wasn't clear. I will be doing this presentation to leaders for all social media but the ones they want is mainly Facebook and twitter I will look through the links and use what I need for it. I will be speaking to the Scout HQ too Thanks
hardtailstar Posted November 10, 2016 Author Posted November 10, 2016 Just want to say thanks to @esafety_officer, I did the presentation at the weekend to my Scout group leaders using a lot of info you supplied on the links. It went very well and they all said that they have a better understanding of Social media. So thanks again! 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now