ChrisH Posted January 24, 2006 Posted January 24, 2006 Im trying to write a VB script to read information from a csv then create computer accounts that are prestaged. I can do virtually all of it apart from adding the GUID part. As far as I can tell the value is "netbootGUID" but when I query AD with ADSI it returns an empty string for an account already setup and when I try wrinting a value it doesnt like it. I can get the GUID using a WMI script but thats pretty useless for me in this situation. I found an example in VB that is very similar but I think I may have to do something with the GUID value before displaying/writing it like convert it. Anyone done this ? Ideas? Cheers Chris
ajbritton Posted January 24, 2006 Posted January 24, 2006 ChrisH, Just a thought, but if you are prestaging the computers to get them in the correct OUs prior to installation by RIS, then you might like to have a look at the way Microsoft has used scripts in Learning Network Manager. When a PC is RIS built on this system, it is automatically moved to the correct OU. You might be able to get away with a SIF file for each OU...
ajbritton Posted January 24, 2006 Posted January 24, 2006 Further investigation reveals a MOVE.VBS which is executed by CMDLINES.TXT. The script interrogates C:\Windows\system32\$winnt$.inf, looking for a ProfileName entry. The ProfileName refers to an OU. The script then looks like it looks up the computer account in AD and moves it to the appropriate OU.
ChrisH Posted January 24, 2006 Author Posted January 24, 2006 Have you looked at this? Thats the one I had looked at but involved some messing with a DLL which I would have to look into further. The LNM stuff looks interesting, I shall maybe have a look at that stuff as well. I prestage the computers for the correct OU placement and naming currently.
HodgeHi Posted June 23, 2006 Posted June 23, 2006 Did you finish the script to do this? I am looking for a pre-staging script that I can run to set our computers in their OUs to make all the machines managed. I can do it maunally one at a time through the properties but that could take some time.
ChrisH Posted June 23, 2006 Author Posted June 23, 2006 No sorry I didnt as usual I got distracted . I have found that enabling custom setup as suggested and typing in the names as you go is good for the first run on the machine. You can also set the default OU in the RIS server properties.
HodgeHi Posted June 23, 2006 Posted June 23, 2006 Lol. Same here. When ever i want to or need to do something i end up doing something else just before i finish it. Whats this now project number 1,230,128 ???
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now