allertda Posted June 21, 2016 Posted June 21, 2016 We have a very small batch of iPads that we want to manage with ASM in tandem with Meraki MDM. The iPads were purchased by a member of staff without discussing it with IT, and bought them from a reseller (John Lewis) who do not have an Apple Reseller ID. Does anyone know how I can register the devices with ASM without DEP. We also don't have any Mac Server devices that I can use to register the devices either!
ITJS2015 Posted June 21, 2016 Posted June 21, 2016 Without your sell being a DEP supplier you cannot enrole them onto meraki. You can use meraki for free with 150 devices. You can set a ipad up with a meraki profile to install onto the ipad and distribute a blueprint out to the rest of Ipads using apple configurator 2 Or Manually use the code within meraki login to enrole the ipad onto the the plateform. I take it you want to distribute out apps to all devices at the same time? If so you require to setup a Volume purchasing programme with apple which is easy to do but you will need an account number from a business manger relating towards your school Let me know if there is anymore information you need 1
Brimstone Posted June 21, 2016 Posted June 21, 2016 If you've bought them from John Lewis then I feel your pain, there is no way to get these into DEP/ASM. You can Supervise them but you will need a Mac and AC2 to do this, I assume this is what you mean by a Mac Server...? There are also ways to do this on Windows using the following solution..https://www.groundctl.com To answer the points on the second post here... You CAN enrol iPads into any MDM without using DEP, it's just that the profile is removable on the device without DEP. Meraki lets you enroll up to 100 devices free NOT 150. You can start the enrolment process without any account number??? You will be asked by Apple during the process for a verfication contact email and phone number that can confirm on the schools behalf you are allowed to sign up for this, Apple WILL RING your school to check this. 1
ITJS2015 Posted June 22, 2016 Posted June 22, 2016 Sorry my bad, yes it is 100 device not 150. There is more information on this link https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Systems_Manager_Licensing 1
allertda Posted June 22, 2016 Author Posted June 22, 2016 Thanks for the info. I've been able to connect ASM to our Meraki MDM now with another suppliers ID. Think i'll have to return the iPads to John Lewis and repurchase from our registered supplier. I guess that rules out using ASM with any BYOD iOS devices?
Brimstone Posted June 22, 2016 Posted June 22, 2016 Thanks for the info. I've been able to connect ASM to our Meraki MDM now with another suppliers ID. Think i'll have to return the iPads to John Lewis and repurchase from our registered supplier. I guess that rules out using ASM with any BYOD iOS devices? Apple School Manager (ASM) is not just about being able to enrol devices so they get enroled into MDM upon activaton, ASM also does the following; Allows you to buy VPP content. Gives everyone a roll, that being; Teachers who might want to create iTunes U and Bursars who are likely to be buying VPP content for the iPads As a guide I would include everyone in your school in ASM. DEP is NOT for use with student owned devices, only institution owned ones.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now