Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

 

I think I messed up when installing Office 2013 (from Office 2010). I deliberately didn't uninstall old office versions, thinking if I left the old version and any users had a problem I could point them back to O2010.

 

In hindsight, this seems like a bad move. I've tried various ways of removing Office 2010 post Office 2013 install, including a manual uninstall, the remove office script (extracted from an exe), etc. Doing any of these seems to break the link between Office documents and Office 2013, so Office documents refuse to open. Weirdly, trying to open a (e.g.) Word document starts Office 2013 installing again, even though it's already installed!

 

The seemingly obvious thing to do would be to edit the MSP to uninstall old Office versions and then deploy again, but (as I built the key into the setup) I'm thinking this will double the number of keys used over the two deployments (obviously something I'd like to avoid doing!)??

 

Any suggestions?

Edited by Cazale
Posted
You'll probably find that removing Office 2013 necessitates a partial reinstall of Office 2013 (as you're seeing when you open a document and the progress bar appears). AFAIK there's no way round this - the uninstall process for 2010 leaves 2013 incomplete. Can you implement a KMS server for Office to save your key count?
Posted

This stops the configuration when switching between office 2010 and 2013:

 

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...