Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have spent many hours at various times in the last few months just trying to compile Dansguardian, the problem is I can't!

 

The last version I tried had config files missing, which made it impossible to compile, I've revisited my ubuntu box in the last couple of days to try again.

 

The good news is that the config files are fixed in the latest beta, the bad news is no matter what I do I can't get it to compile with ntlm support due to missing iconv/libiconv.

 

Normally I would work this out on my own, but I'm fed up now as I HAVE iconv and libiconv installed, I specifically downloaded, compiled and installed it already.

 

It's a long shot but anyone tried to compile Dansguardian (2.9.9.2) under ubuntu 6.06 server with the ntlm option enabled?

Edited by DMcCoy
Posted

I know it doesn't answer your question, but in the event you can't get the beta version to work, I've got ntlm working by using squid to do the authentication first. So my setup looks like

 

Squid (ntlm) -> Dansguardian (2.8) -> External Firewall (ISA)

Posted
it's in the repo for my 7.10 system - is ntlm not on in that version?

I've only set up on centos personally.

 

I've no idea, if you can use the dansguardian ntlm auth rather than squid then yes :p

 

I know it doesn't answer your question, but in the event you can't get the beta version to work, I've got ntlm working by using squid to do the authentication first. So my setup looks like

 

Squid (ntlm) -> Dansguardian (2.8) -> External Firewall (ISA)

 

I've already done that in testing, but I really want to use the built in ntlm but thats the bit that is stopping the compile :(

Posted
So when you ran the configure script for dansguardian. Did you tell it to check /usr/local/lib for libiconv?

 

Actually I've been searching through the config.log and noticed that despite having zlib (see below)

 

checking if zlib should be statically linked... yes

checking for zlib... checking zlib.h usability... yes

checking zlib.h presence... yes

checking for zlib.h... yes

 

I was getting an error for the iconv test: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz

 

one apt-get install zlib1g-dev and configure completed sucessfully. Now on to the compile!

Posted

I think it was probably a rather miss leading error that threw me off as it stopped with this message

 

checking for iconv in -liconv... no

no

checking for libiconv in -liconv... no

configure: error: no libiconv found in given search path! (needed by NTLM plugin)

 

 

I'll revert my VM and run through a nice tidy compile again now that I know the exact packages I need

Posted

Indeed. I was correct. iconv is in libc now.

 

gking@offpc06l:~/temp$ iconvconfig -V
iconvconfig (GNU libc) 2.6.1
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Ulrich Drepper.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...