Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi

 

Our email notifications for HAP have stopped working when staff book rooms.

 

I think it is down to office 365 SMTP server settings

 

Can anyone share what settings they have for this? Or if you use a different SMTP server what you use?

 

Thanks

Posted

I think if I remember rightly, you set the SMTP settings to nothing, that tells HAP+ to auto discover the SMTP stuff.

 

You can check the event log on the server, it may be logging the SMTP error there.

 

Another option would be to use wireshark on the server to see what SMTP traffic is doing

Posted
Hi

 

Our email notifications for HAP have stopped working when staff book rooms.

I think it is down to office 365 SMTP server settings

Can anyone share what settings they have for this? Or if you use a different SMTP server what you use?

 

Thanks

 

I'm having all manner of hell with Office 365 to be honest. Nothing works properly and HAP throws up quite a lot of exceptions. We got some stuff going with an SMTP gateway (which in itself keeps crashing). I've had to write a script to add impersonation individually on every account on the office 365 server

 

When our users book a resource, the calendar invite is recieved at the client, but Outlook deletes it (it should be in the recycle bin with a message "As the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting". Basically, it appears that because the from address is you, Outlook presumes the event has already been created. Why Office 365 acts differently to Exchange in regard to this i don't know. I'd be interested to hear if that is the same for you?

 

The mail settings i've wound up using are:

SMTP Server Address:

Port:25

SSL:Off

From name: "School Portal"

From Email: [email protected]

Exchange Support:""

all of this stuff is blank. I basically can't get it working consistently with anything in there. Some emails seem to go out, such as helpdesk tickets since i set the SMTP relay to use one nominated service account and configured all of the office365 accounts with "sendAs" on that service account.

 

Even with that config and Exchange support blank, we still get: "Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed" every time someone logs on. :(

Posted
This seems to be the same for us since we moved to Office 365 - appointments are received by staff but immediately deleted. It's not too bad for us because admin emails are received ok (presumably because they're sent to a group mailbox rather than individual) but it would be nice for our teachers if anyone has a solution!
Posted
...because admin emails are received ok (presumably because they're sent to a group mailbox rather than individual)

 

That's interesting.. we also use a group email address for admin emails, but i had to set up a service account for use by HAP and then add "SENDAS" to every mailbox to get things like helpdesk tickets working.. It seems like yours might be working a bit better in that respect!

Posted
Actually I was mistaken, emails are sent to admins individually from the booking system, but as far as ofice 365 is concerned they're sent from the staff member making the booking, so they don't get deleted. We don't use the helpdesk so I can't say what that would do.
Posted
Actually I was mistaken, emails are sent to admins individually from the booking system, but as far as ofice 365 is concerned they're sent from the staff member making the booking, so they don't get deleted. We don't use the helpdesk so I can't say what that would do.

 

Ahh, i "think" that makes sense..

 

Basically, when the admins are emailed a calendar item, the "from address" would be the user who booked it, so outlook wouldn't do anything silly.

 

So, it appears that we either need a solution to stop outlook mishandling calendar invites from the mailboxes own account or we might need a code change to send all calendar invites from a pre-configured hap email account. I can find other people having the same issues with different software packages where the sender is "spoofed", but no solutions that avoid programming..

Posted
I'm having all manner of hell with Office 365 to be honest. Nothing works properly and HAP throws up quite a lot of exceptions. We got some stuff going with an SMTP gateway (which in itself keeps crashing). I've had to write a script to add impersonation individually on every account on the office 365 server

 

When our users book a resource, the calendar invite is recieved at the client, but Outlook deletes it (it should be in the recycle bin with a message "As the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting". Basically, it appears that because the from address is you, Outlook presumes the event has already been created. Why Office 365 acts differently to Exchange in regard to this i don't know. I'd be interested to hear if that is the same for you?

 

The mail settings i've wound up using are:

SMTP Server Address:

Port:25

SSL:Off

From name: "School Portal"

From Email: [email protected]

Exchange Support:""

all of this stuff is blank. I basically can't get it working consistently with anything in there. Some emails seem to go out, such as helpdesk tickets since i set the SMTP relay to use one nominated service account and configured all of the office365 accounts with "sendAs" on that service account.

 

Even with that config and Exchange support blank, we still get: "Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed" every time someone logs on. :(

 

I've personally had no luck setting up the email, we have office365 but our HAP is on it's own virtual server;

I've tried setting up relay (with online M$ help website).. nothing

I've tried setting the smtp main IIS Hap is on.. nothing

I've tried setting the smtp on HAP settings.. nothing

I've tried different variations of address (IP, STMP host at the school, Office365 smtp).. nothing

I've tried different ports (25 & 587).. again nothing

 

I have no knowledge of how to set up smtp/relays etc. so I don't know what to do really

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
Ahh, i "think" that makes sense..

 

Basically, when the admins are emailed a calendar item, the "from address" would be the user who booked it, so outlook wouldn't do anything silly.

 

So, it appears that we either need a solution to stop outlook mishandling calendar invites from the mailboxes own account or we might need a code change to send all calendar invites from a pre-configured hap email account. I can find other people having the same issues with different software packages where the sender is "spoofed", but no solutions that avoid programming..

 

Sorry to quote myself at you @nickbro - but wondering if you have any thoughts on this? This specific issue for us manifests in users not receiving proper calendar invites to bookings. Is there any way i can generate more useful troubleshooting info?

 

Cheers,

Matt

  • 1 month later...
Posted
I've personally had no luck setting up the email, we have office365 but our HAP is on it's own virtual server;

I've tried setting up relay (with online M$ help website).. nothing

I've tried setting the smtp main IIS Hap is on.. nothing

I've tried setting the smtp on HAP settings.. nothing

I've tried different variations of address (IP, STMP host at the school, Office365 smtp).. nothing

I've tried different ports (25 & 587).. again nothing

 

I have no knowledge of how to set up smtp/relays etc. so I don't know what to do really

 

 

Bit of update;

 

We got emails to work (kinda - see # below for somewhat solution), does anyone else have this issue

 

- Client get email regarding booking in their deleted/trash folder

- Email Client receives is Calendar invitation in deleted folder/trash (system thinks you created the event)

- No event has been created in clients calendar (email has nothing to reference to)

- Admins received no email notification regarding booking

- Client receives Email notification in Inbox when canceling booking.

- Admins received no email notification regarding cancellation

 

*I have seen if I've booked on someone's behalf, Client receives calendar invite in Inbox but again nothing to reference to and yet again admins get no emails...

 

#What we did to get emails to work was to give the sendas permissions to our hap/ictalert email assigned to HAP then we get the above issues. Even if we give full permission (to create calendar entries etc.) nothing happens in clients or admin's calanders

  • 8 months later...
Posted

I had some success today! Hopefully other too;

 

I've modified the SMTP Settings on HAP

Enable: ON

Address: sjw-bham-sch-uk.mail.protection.outlook.com (we're with office 365 - for any one else change the first part to your school domain address replace dots with dashes)

Port: 25

SSL: ON

SMTP User: (email you wish to use eg:) [email protected]

SMTP Password: (Password for above email address)

From (Name): Bookings

From (Email): (email you wish to use eg:) [email protected]

 

With these settings I get (as the booker) an email in my junk mail, if I move it to inbox it becomes 'safe' and creates calendar ready for me to 'accept' :)

 

Hope this works for others too however I still need to find away to send admin email too (even if we have to make [email protected] a shared mailbox to prevent clogging up calendar etc.)

 

Good luck :)

  • 2 months later...
Posted

I'm still struggling with this. Tried your suggested settings but no joy :(

 

Also tried gmail smtp details and no luck there.

 

Any other tips anyone?

 

Thanks

Posted

We (IT Team) wasn't getting any emails but there booker/teacher were getting emails.

 

Also like previously mentioned they were going to the deleted folder, might be good idea to check there :)

 

If anything else come to mind I'll let you know but chances are someone else here on the board will be more ideal.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...