Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi ,

Just starting out and would like to have a go at building a test server just to practice stuff on. When I supported lots of schools I had access to their servers so I could always copy from them when I needed something from a server that where the required gpo worked. And not built a server from scratch before- manager had no time to 'train' even though it was promised every summer :-/. So , now I'm in a school permanently, on a CC4 - so no basic gpo's to start / copy from.

Would anyone be willing to share their basic set up gpo's for a server 2012 setup - I also want to play with the Hyper V stuff.

 

Thanks in advance

Posted

The CC4 environment should have some GPOs on it, CC3 certainly did, iirc it was just controlled via the RM Console but was accessible using GPMC.

 

If you would like some of the settings I have placed in a pure vanilla school from scratch though, I'll see what I can do.

Just recently had to setup a Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V environment in the Primary during the last 3 months, so if you want to query anything some knowledge might still be in my brain ;).

Posted

Hi DJ,

CC4 any GPO's seem to be about changing registry or running scripts. Nothing looks 'normal'

The settings from scratch would be perfect ! And any help with setting up

hyper v would be great too! I can ask secondary school Nm's for help - but I need to know what I'm talking about as well as I feel like a fraud! But my school knows what I know and don't know - but I I guess I want to gen up on stuff so that a secondary won't come in and say your NM is Carp - let us support you ... Not totally an ego thing , but sometimes I feel like I should know basic stuff and I don't . But I can do lots of other stuff post server build etc ... Supported XP, 2003, 2008 and 2012 servers before this. So yes please :-) I can pm you my email address ?

Posted
Sure, and hey, we all need to start somewhere. Don't feel you are a fraud, believe me I have worked with some techs in my previous life who can't even follow basic written instructions and had no interest in learning, so the fact you know what a GPO is and that you want to learn, already puts you well above them in my book, hehe.
Posted
I'm sure you will get all you need from DJ-1701 but if you have any more questions, I have a primary Server2012 setup at one of my schools and will be back there on Jan 5th. I don't have Hyper-V though

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...