haggistheoriginal Posted December 11, 2015 Posted December 11, 2015 Hi All I have been searching around quite a bit for an answer to this one I have a simple Server 2008 R2 Domain I took over this network about 2 years ago and while I have been able to improve most areas of the school's IT the one bit that causes me the most stress is when staff take laptops home Now so far I have Staff as their normal domain accounts non local admin, obviously when they go home there are certain things that are network only disappear (icons on desktop) get the temporary profile warning and cant save things like favourites Do I have offline folders for Staff laptops and folder redirection for all computers and laptops that stay in school What have some of you done with this in your environments I am just not sure how to proceed to make things better Any help greatly appreciated Dave (Haggis)
Steve21 Posted December 11, 2015 Posted December 11, 2015 Once you enabled offline files "don't" specify what folders you want syncing and it'll automatically sync all redirected areas. e.g. Start Menu/Desktop/N Drive etc. Shared drives won't, but any GPO redirected will Think that's where a lot go wrong as by saying they want N:\ for example, it won't sync redirects as you never told it to Steve 1
haggistheoriginal Posted December 14, 2015 Author Posted December 14, 2015 Hi Steve, Thanks for that. I will give just pure offline files a go. I didn't know what the relationship was between the Offline and folder redirection and it was causing some stress! The PC's and Laptops that stay in school, pure folder redirection works as expected its just the offline users that cause the stress Thanks for your help Haggis
Joanne Posted December 14, 2015 Posted December 14, 2015 Just to note - I've got 2 members of staff who have 128GB SSDs in their laptops and you have to watch out for offline files taking up all the hard drive space! 1
Michael Posted December 14, 2015 Posted December 14, 2015 The other thing to check is whether Offline Files has been disabled on your Icon distribution share. By default it's on, but if it's been turned off previously, then it'll still fail even with the Offline Files service enabled. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now