Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all

 

I am currently trying to resurrect some old laptops for use with word processing only - for use in SEN

 

I started off by trying to install from a Win7 Ent install CD - one that I have used on other machines of various makes in the past and it constantly fails on the 'installing Windows' screen when 'Expanding Windows files' - around the 0% or 1% level

 

I assumed it was a disk or memory problem (there was only 1G of memory anyway) so I have formatted the hard drive on another machine (no problems) and replaced the memory with 2G but the problem is the same

 

Now I have booted via ethernet (win PE, WDS blah blah) and my basic win7 Ent image on the WDS server is installing OK (so far - typing with one hand so I can touch some wood)

 

As far as I know this is the same thing

 

Anyone have any ideas why this is working but the CD didn't???

 

Just asking in case I run into another problem later on

 

TIA

 

Mike

Posted
I had a load of trouble with this when windows 7 came out. I can't remember which solution fixed it. It was either changing the sata mode to 'legacy' in the bios or adding the drivers for the sata controller when it prompts for additional drivers.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Aye sometimes its the drivers if you have something like RAID set on in bios (quite a few do) by default and Win7 disk won't understand it without changes, but obviously your image has more drivers in :)

 

Steve

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...