Badaz52 Posted August 3, 2015 Posted August 3, 2015 Hi, We are trying to upgrade Vcenter 5.5 to 6.0 and I have encountered a problem that I am not sure how to overcome. When the Vcenter server itself was installed it was setup as a virtual machine within our cluster. This was done by an engineer and not by me. Unfortunately hot add cpu/ram was not enabled on this machine and I need to increase the RAM to 8176mb and enable 2 processors to be able to proceed with the upgrade to Vcenter 6.0. The problem is how can I do this bearing in mind I cannot alter the memory/ram settings unless the host is switched off meaning it will kick me out of the vsphere client. Surely there is a way around this VMware support Vcenter server as a VM itself so surely there must be a way around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
RobD Posted August 3, 2015 Posted August 3, 2015 You'll need to connected directly to the host via the vsphere client and then update it.
Badaz52 Posted August 3, 2015 Author Posted August 3, 2015 Is this the only way it can be done? not sure if I am up for a bit of command line lol
RobD Posted August 3, 2015 Posted August 3, 2015 No you shouldn't need to do it via command line. When you open vsphere client on your PC, just change the IP/Name bit to the name of the host that vsphere server is hosted on.
Badaz52 Posted August 3, 2015 Author Posted August 3, 2015 I see, it doesn't seem to want to let me in with the same credentials I use to connect to Vcenter. I have tried the SSO login too but no luck.
Davit2005 Posted August 3, 2015 Posted August 3, 2015 Many people I have spoken to have advised against upgrade from 5.1 to 6 due to SSO rework, maybe there are implications on 5.5 to 6 as well. You might be better building a new vCenter and transfering hosts accross and then upgrading hosts from there. If you use profiles and Rules I guess these must be transferred also.
Badaz52 Posted August 3, 2015 Author Posted August 3, 2015 The username will be root if that helps? I'm in!
Badaz52 Posted August 4, 2015 Author Posted August 4, 2015 Well I managed to get through the entire upgrade from 5.5 to 6 to be greeted with this message upon upgrading the sql to postgresql: “Upgrade import step failed” and “vPostgres firstboot(action=firstboot) failed” Trouble is it has uninstalled 5.5 already and the only thing I have to work from is the export folder, not really sure where I can go with this now.
RobD Posted August 4, 2015 Posted August 4, 2015 Urrgh, sounds like a new vSphere server to me. Unless you can work through this: VMware KB: Recovering from a failed upgrade of vCenter Server 5.1 or 5.5 to 6.0
Badaz52 Posted August 4, 2015 Author Posted August 4, 2015 (edited) Urrgh, sounds like a new vSphere server to me. Unless you can work through this: VMware KB: Recovering from a failed upgrade of vCenter Server 5.1 or 5.5 to 6.0 The one odd thing I have noticed but not sure if it is affecting it is during the install phase it hangs at "installing component - vcsservicemanager" and at this point the system time goes about an hour and a half out of sync, could this be causing the problem? if I resync the time is OK till this point then goes out again. VMware Tools is still installed and appears to stop and start during the upgrade process, should I disable the service and try the upgrade again? Edited August 4, 2015 by Badaz52
Badaz52 Posted August 4, 2015 Author Posted August 4, 2015 Hmm, I think this is a time related issue. If I disable VMware Tools on the Vcenter server and run the upgrade again it gets a lot further but still produces the same error message.
RobD Posted August 4, 2015 Posted August 4, 2015 I'm guessing the time is either set by a DC or by the host itself, so may be worth checking those first. You could try and stop the service but I'm not sure it'll help, to be honest if you start again you could probably get all this done in a hour!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now