Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

This summer we are creating a new domain, new servers ect… I am planning to rebuild our MAC suite. We have x 30 Imacs (Mid 2011) x 1 Pro Sever (2010) x 5 Mac book Pros (mid 2012) 15 ipads and x 10 apple TV’s. Currently we are set up like this –

 

• All bound to AD for logging in and network shares mounted at log in.

• Profile manager to manage settings (used to use workgroup manager)

• Deploy studio to create images and deploy them

• Remote desktop to deploy software

• Current OS 10.10.3

• CUPS to deploy and manage printers

 

 

Just wanted to know what other people are using software wise ect as I am not a big fan of CUPS for managing and deploying printers or any tips/hints. In summer we’ll be using MDM via lightspeed to manage our Ipads and Apple TV’s.

Posted
I would get Munki setup while you're doing that, much better than using Apple Remote Desktop for software deployment. Its free, just needs any web server, so IIS or Apache and its so light weight. You can get Munki Admin if you want a GUI, but the terminal commands for Munki are straight forward.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

To handle printer mappings, shares settings etc. we've been using WGM (Workgroup Manager) for some years now. This summer we've moved to Profile Manager for the same thing since Apple has been trying to kill off WGM.

We use Munki for all updates, program installs etc. but PM works great for making printer changes and easy to setup a server.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Yeah, I have been toying with using Profile manager a go with deploying and managing printers. I can't say we use WGM anymore. I will defiantly give Munki a go looks really good.
  • 2 months later...
Posted

Just formatted the mac server as I wanted a clean start and we’ve created a new domain. I have joined it to the domain and got, deploy studio, open directory, profile manager ect installed. Got almost everything set up as I want it apart from mapping windows shares….

 

I had profile manager set to “log in items” and map a share like this –

 

(Authenticated network mounts)

 

smb://fileserver.domain.sch.uk/Share_Staff&Students

 

Now when I map this -

 

smb://newfileserver.newdomain.sch.uk/Share_Staff&Students

 

It errors out, but in profile manager under finder and “commands” if I un tick “connect to server”

It automatically maps our staff and students share and also our staff share where students can browse any files they like…I have been looking at this the last few days and cannot workout what’s wrong. I don’t use WGM anymore as you cannot download it with 10.10.5, they only other thing to change since I formatted the mac server is we have moved over to Windows server 2012R2 as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted
Just formatted the mac server as I wanted a clean start and we’ve created a new domain. I have joined it to the domain and got, deploy studio, open directory, profile manager ect installed. Got almost everything set up as I want it apart from mapping windows shares….

 

I had profile manager set to “log in items” and map a share like this –

 

(Authenticated network mounts)

 

smb://fileserver.domain.sch.uk/Share_Staff&Students

 

Now when I map this -

 

smb://newfileserver.newdomain.sch.uk/Share_Staff&Students

 

It errors out, but in profile manager under finder and “commands” if I un tick “connect to server”

It automatically maps our staff and students share and also our staff share where students can browse any files they like…I have been looking at this the last few days and cannot workout what’s wrong. I don’t use WGM anymore as you cannot download it with 10.10.5, they only other thing to change since I formatted the mac server is we have moved over to Windows server 2012R2 as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

Are you trying to Map AD home Shares through Profile Manger? If so I've never really had much luck. I've always relied on the AD Plugin to do this (which Profile Manager can push out) but as of last week I've dropped the use of the Acitve Directory Plugin doing this work and wrote a script that will do this work for me. The script will mount the proper share the is set for users is AD.

 

Here's my article http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mac/158150-os-x-mount-active-directory-home-drive-automatically-working-solution-os-x-10-10-a.html

Posted
Thanks, I looked at that on Friday night. The stage I am at is trying to map shares such as staff and students. I had it working on 10.10.2 before I formatted ect. I don't understand why its not now and keeps mapping drives they should not have access too.
Posted

I've now got my "shares" to map how I want them onto the desktop using profile manager.

 

My next problem is, When I log in as a student, next to "trash" & and "downloads" it'll show a folder as their home area, my issue is that it'll map the entire School_Students$ on to the desktop and as I student I can browse all the intakes and access any folder I want too.

 

Same if I log in a member of staff I can see every members H drive and access any folder I want...

 

How do I set AD permissions on these folders?!

Posted
Thanks, I looked at that on Friday night. The stage I am at is trying to map shares such as staff and students. I had it working on 10.10.2 before I formatted ect. I don't understand why its not now and keeps mapping drives they should not have access too.

 

Are you trying to map a shared drive that's shared to more than one person? Not an individual drive? Can you map it manually?

 

If it's something you can map manually then go into Profile Manager then go to "Login Items" and add the share under the "Authenticated Network Mounts" as seen below. This will mount your share based on the users login AD Credentials.

 

http://i.imgur.com/QjXCNbs.png

Posted

Yeah, that side of it I am happy with. That's all working how I want it.

 

I have now un ticked "Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home drive"

 

Now they don't have the drive next to "trash ect"

 

If I use you're script I think it'll do what I want. Hope that makes sense...

Posted
Yeah, that side of it I am happy with. That's all working how I want it.

 

I have now un ticked "Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home drive"

 

Now they don't have the drive next to "trash ect"

 

If I use you're script I think it'll do what I want. Hope that makes sense...

Yes it will remove the home drive from the dock. I always hated it there but if it's something you use it will be gone.

Posted
Thanks, for all your help so far. I want all my drives and shares mapping the same EG onto the desktop. I know have the shares mapping how I want them. What is the best way to push your script using profile manager? Do I only need to change Active Directory/DOMAIN/All Domains/ using Apple script editor - Thanks again.
Posted
I have the script working how I want it. It's now a .APP file. I am trying to push it via Profile manager and I am getting this error. Profile Manager.jpg What's the best way to push this? Sorry for all the questions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...