dsquared2 Posted May 18, 2015 Posted May 18, 2015 Hi All, I want to VLAN my HP switches so i can make a guest wi-fi. All the switch's were installed before i started working in my school so i have no documentation. I have found there IP addresses in DHCP but this doesn't give me a clue where they are psychically! I see they have a serial port with console written under neath. Does anyone know how to access the management console on a HP Procurve 2425 with a serial cable on a windows 7 machine? Thank you for any help.
dgsmith Posted May 18, 2015 Posted May 18, 2015 If you know the IP address, would you not be better using any networked machine and connecting to them via putty? I find it such a faff using the console cable directly and only do so if locked out of the switch for some reason, as a last resort! 1
dsquared2 Posted May 18, 2015 Author Posted May 18, 2015 We have mostly the same model of switch so how do i know which one I'm connected too?
Tall_Paul Posted May 18, 2015 Posted May 18, 2015 To connect it to a 'normal' PC you will need a USB-serial converter. They're about £12 from Amazon. Another option (if the switch supports it) is to turn on Telnet through the web console, then connect to the switches through Putty using Telnet. Generally I've found the web consoles of Procurves offer limited functionality when compared to the CLI.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now