LansITGuy Posted April 21, 2015 Posted April 21, 2015 Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the right place or not for this. I'm making an attempt at learning how to use Linux. I've not had the best history in the past with this, but I was starting to get somewhere, until now. I am trying to setup Squid 3.5.3 as an internal proxy to filter our staff and students differently. I have got Squid working, but then discovered that I need to compile it to add support to LDAP to connect to our Windows domain servers (squid_ldap_auth and squid_ldap_group). So far that all makes sense. I am able to download the TAR file and un-compress it. I run the ./configure command with the following: ./configure --enable-external-acl-helpers="ip_user,ldap_group" However, when this goes through I get the following: configure: error: external acl helper ip_user ... not found I think this is to do with a dependency or missing library. I've followed a number of tutorials. All mentioned the ip_user section but no where can I find a way of tracking a dependency when compiling from source. Are there any techniques to do this or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been stuck on this for way too long. Cheers!
Geoff Posted April 22, 2015 Posted April 22, 2015 You hit an error messages trying to build the external helpers. Run "ls -1 helpers/*/" to see all the helper names. Note that the list here is case sensitive. 1
LansITGuy Posted April 22, 2015 Author Posted April 22, 2015 Thanks Geoff. Good timing. I'd just found something similar on another web article. It looks like the names are correct, but I don't think the configure script is set to look in the correct folder to find the ACL files. I've just found some instructions on downloading sources with "apt-get source squid" which gives me a slightly older version. I seem to be getting further with this which I assume means it has been modified for Ubuntu's own slight file structure differences (I'm guessing based on what I've seen so far).
cpjitservices Posted April 23, 2015 Posted April 23, 2015 Why not chat and use PFSense... configure squid and authentication through GUI. 1
Geoff Posted April 23, 2015 Posted April 23, 2015 True, it would depend if @mcowley wants something that 'just works' or if he wants a learning exercise.
LansITGuy Posted April 23, 2015 Author Posted April 23, 2015 Thanks guys. This was both a learning experience, but also one of those "I've got to fix X without spending Y". I'm giving PFSense a shot and it looks like it will do the trick. I will get back on to the playing around with Squid directly at some point when there is more time. Hopefully this set up will get past a few things I've been trying to improve.
Geoff Posted April 23, 2015 Posted April 23, 2015 PFSense is very easy to use once you've spent a bit of time with the web interface. Let me know if you have any issues, I have two PFSense boxes doing Captive Portal Internet Access w/Voucher Codes for Public Wifi access. 1
cpjitservices Posted April 23, 2015 Posted April 23, 2015 PFSense is very easy to use once you've spent a bit of time with the web interface. Let me know if you have any issues, I have two PFSense boxes doing Captive Portal Internet Access w/Voucher Codes for Public Wifi access. Excellent
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now