Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All

 

 

 

Hoping if someone can assist with an issue I am having with migrating home shares to a CIFS share using Quotas. I am currently migrating home directories from a Windows servers to create a CIFS share on a NetApp but I am assuming the same applies regardless of where the destination is. The NetApp CIFS shares works very similar to any newer Windows based file server.

 

I have tested migrating home shares using Robocopy to ensure permissions are retained and the good news is this part works ok. I have enforced user quotas on the CIFS share I have created for Home directories however once the data moves over and I map the CIFS share to a Windows client it doesn't seem to pick up the quota for the existing files already in the share, it does however add to the quota if I add any new files into it.

 

So I created a 100mb quota and migrated one of home directories over which was fine but the quota in Windows showed 100mb free of 100mb. Once I filled it up with 5 X 20mb files it then activated the quota and it was full.

 

 

Is it by design that the quota wont work for existing files? I am assuming this is because of the way the ownership of the way the robocopy job is run? is there a anyway around this? Have others been able to migrate data and still keep the quotas intact?

 

Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

 

Thanks

Posted
You may need to migrate Ownership info for this to work, as Ownership is needed on Windows servers for FSRM quotas. That's copied across with Robocopy by using the
/COPY:DATSOU

or

/COPYALL

attributes. You can retroactively change the Owner info using chown.exe for batch processing.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
You may need to migrate Ownership info for this to work, as Ownership is needed on Windows servers for FSRM quotas. That's copied across with Robocopy by using the
/COPY:DATSOU

or

/COPYALL

attributes. You can retroactively change the Owner info using chown.exe for batch processing.

 

Fantastic, I can confirm I have tried this and it works Thank you.

 

I used the /copy:DATSOU switch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...