RobD Posted January 4, 2015 Posted January 4, 2015 Hi All, I have a N54L with ESXi 5.5 running on it without a raid card. So all was great and I was using each single drive as a datastore but today a drive died meaning I lost everything on it (and there was loads). So apart from being gutted I need a Raid card but I'm a tad limited financially (as I need new disks too), I've looked at a HP P410 but I cant much in the UK under £80 could anyone recommend anything else (Adaptec ASR-3405??) which may be a tad cheaper and compatible? Thanks
Arthur Posted January 4, 2015 Posted January 4, 2015 FreeNAS wouldn't cost you anything... FreeNAS on HP Microserver N54L – Shared Storage for your ESXi
Davit2005 Posted January 5, 2015 Posted January 5, 2015 Could also take a look at NexentaStor Community edition. I've used this in the past and personally preferred it to FreeNAS. Used it as a iSCSI target on a seperate box to the ESXi server.
RobD Posted January 5, 2015 Author Posted January 5, 2015 Thanks both, I'll take a look at both but I use my ESXi box fairly extensivly at the moment so not desperate to move away. Thanks
Arthur Posted January 10, 2015 Posted January 10, 2015 I use my ESXi box fairly extensively at the moment so not desperate to move away. Another option would be to use RDM to pass the HDDs through to a FreeNAS or XPEnology VM in ESXi. This way you can continue using ESXi and not have to spend any money on a hardware RAID card. How much RAM does your N54L have? With the latest FreeNAS you need at least 8GB.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now