penfold Posted December 16, 2014 Posted December 16, 2014 I'm trying to configure a SureBackup job and I'm getting a bit confused. I've set up the Application Group & the Virtual Lab but when I run my surebackup job I get the error "One or more networks cannot be mapped, check virtual lab settings". If I check the lab settings I know I must be missing something obvious but I can't see what. I've set the job up using the basic Networking (auto config) which I assumed should pick up the correct settings (to be fair Veeam has picked everything up generally). If I try changing the settings I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing. Under Proxy I have ticked "use proxy appliaince" and then under Production Network connection" I am supposed to use the VLAN of my actual live network now NOT the Virtual lab is that right?
penfold Posted December 19, 2014 Author Posted December 19, 2014 (edited) I've got the network mapping now. I had to manually set the IP address otherwise it picked up some odd results. Although I can get the network mapped and it shows it is applying the Masquerade IP ok, it fails the Ping test. As I'm not sure I've got the terminology correct and to confirm I have put the right details in the right place. Proxy - I have assigned a free IP from our Live network into the production network connection Networking - Advanced Single - Host Isolated Networks - Production network - Assigned a VLAN off the switch and that is now assigned to Isolated network Network settings - Set the IP as the Gateweay IP and it has generated a Masquerade address Should this just now work? I can ping the Proxy and I can see the route added on the Veeam server but still can't ping the VM Edited December 19, 2014 by penfold
penfold Posted January 6, 2015 Author Posted January 6, 2015 Quick update on this as I'd still like a little feedback. I've got the job working now, but when the VM Replica boots it looks like it is connecting to the public network instead of our domain. As a result the Ping test etc where being blocked until we update the public Firewall settings. My question is this by design or should it still connect to our network and use our firewall rules? I read there was an issue of using the VMXNET NIC but I have applied the update and thought that was related to it adding an additional network card, so I assume I've configured the job incorrectly or my understanding is wrong and I want to check before raising a call.
Davit2005 Posted January 6, 2015 Posted January 6, 2015 I would say to phone support up, they have always been good and set up the first vLAB for me when I needed to do a AD object restore. If this is for an AD restore have you looked at Veeam 8 yet. I've installed the free version in a home lab and have successfully used the 'Active Directory Explorer for Veeam' to restore an AD account back to Active Directory. For a point of reference our vLAB settings are: Proxy Use proxy appliance in this virtual lab Production Network: (The name of our Production Network within VMWare) IP address: Obtain Automatically DNS Server: Obtain Automatically Networking Advanced Single-Host Isolated Networks Production: (The name of our Production Network within VMWare) Isolated network: vlab01 production Network Settings Same as yours Hope this helps, but once again I'd suggest speaking to support. 1
penfold Posted January 6, 2015 Author Posted January 6, 2015 I think I'll have to contact support as our settings are the same as yours except for giving the proxy a dedicated IP address. I think it would work if the VM Replica picked up the domain network correctly when it boots. Instead it defaults to Public so I'll have to see what they say I think.
penfold Posted January 8, 2015 Author Posted January 8, 2015 @Davit2005 - When I remote into the VM in the isolated Lab it looks like the VM has connected to a public network as I get a prompt to set the network location. I am waiting for some feedback from Veeam as they sent me some links about using static mapping to remote into the VM but I can already do this BUT only if update firewall rules on the public network. They have indicated that I should not have to make any changes in network settings so my guess would I have configured something incorrectly. When you log into the VM in the isolated network does it still show your domain network or does it pick the new Virtual Lab Network?
Davit2005 Posted January 8, 2015 Posted January 8, 2015 I'll have to give it a whirl and let you know. I only use the vLab for Active Directory object restores which it works for.
penfold Posted January 9, 2015 Author Posted January 9, 2015 @Davit2005 - Did you manage to check this? I'm still waiting for Veeam response but in my mind the isolated network should be exactly the same as the live network so I should be able to talk between VM's in the lab without having to make any changes?
Davit2005 Posted January 9, 2015 Posted January 9, 2015 Just checked and it is showing up in Network and Sharing Center as joined to the Domain. But this is a DC so may do that anyway. 1
penfold Posted January 9, 2015 Author Posted January 9, 2015 Just found this on one of the veeam forums which matches the problems I'm having in relation to the VM's coming up in with the network location. "First error is about the ping test, check if firewall is configured to allow pings also on the public network configuration: since virtual lab changes the underlying network, the VM probably has changed the network location from domain (where ping is allowed) to public. Allow ping also in public firewall configuration in the exchange server, so at next backup the VM will have the new configuration." So in order for our virtual lab VM's to be able to talk to each other do I need to use IP instead of Name?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now